Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 10:49 PM   #11
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The best adventures always seem to happen with the least planning...
So true, I plan to not plan; so technically I have a plan in event the RV Planning Police were to stop me

Here is perfect example of
how we do it...

We left Denver yesterday at no particular time, my only plan was not be driving at dark because I wanted as few bugs as possible; so we would overnight somewhere, but where?

Made it to Amarillo, TX and found a nice Wal Mart RV friendly and very good Wifi, but we still had 2 hours of daylight. So we left and kept driving, an hour later found a very nice and new Rest Stop in Texas that had several RV's with slides out preparing for the night. We had a perfect spot and Mon Night Football was about to start, but we still had some daylight and your's truly wanted a real dinner, my wife thought I was gambling but we rode to next town about 20 minutes. It was Memphis Texas (not Tennesee).

So we see this nostalgic restaurant with few cars, but very large parking lot. My wife goes in and they say we can camp overnight on the RV So we ordered dinner to go; I setup the RV with levelers and slide and we watched Monday Night Football in complete solitude and peace as the restaurant closed at 9:00 PM. Oh by the way, the Restaurant Manager wrote on the receipt that we could camp overnight just in the event someone questioned us. We left for Dallas this morning with less than 1/3 tank of fresh water (12 showers and used the fresh water to wash front of RV & Windshield of bugs when we 1st arrived in Colorado). We were gone 6 days never had any electrical, water, or drain hookup. Only used the Genset to help cool coach on the TO trip and it ran couple hours each day to top off the batteries from running the inverter and TVs.

When we got back to Dallas, the 1st thing I did was fill up propane. $4.99 so we only used 1 & 6/10ths of a gallon. We only used propane for Fridge and hot water; never turned on the propane heat; yes it got down to 39 degrees the last night, but inside the coach it was 52 degrees, yes it was cold, but that was late night and we had our blankets. I could have ran the propane heater, but I was in Colorado NOT at Home it was fun, beside, not that it would have done damage, but at that altitude I just wanted to minimize the need for the Heater. We now know that at 40 degrees and above; running gas heat is purely optional

2nd thing we did was stop at Costco and fill up with gas $170 I complained every minute the pump was pumping. I easily spent $800 total on gas

Regardless, short of the washing it will get later this week; it is already for the next trip whenever that may be.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum