Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #12
Edensob

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
I have both a single axle steel trailer with no brakes and recently bought a dual axle aluminum with tandem and electric. I actually bought them to haul a compact tractor from my regular home to my weekend/vacation cottage about 75 miles away and back. I did have a blow out on the single axle and fortunately was in an area where I could get into a parking lot and change the tire since I carry a spare. I was able to control the load, but remember I was not on the interstate at the moment traveling at 65+ MPH. What I was noticing is that the single axle tires do wear faster under heavier loads, as do brakes on the tow vehicle. That was what made me rethink trailers and safety of myself and the vehicles. The difference between the trailers and how they behave is now night and day. I have had cars up to (5000 lb) on the aluminum and it pulls effortlessly and the slightest brake activation and you know the trailer is doing what it should by applying the electric brakes. My controller can be moved from vehicle to vehicle easily so I can pull with the MH, my Grand Cherokee or a truck. Although I have not experienced a flat or blowout on the tandem, I also thought that if I did I could still easily drive to a safe location at low speed and effect repairs rather than dance around traffic on the roadside. One suggestions though, carry a 4 way lug wrench, always! Spend the cash and do it right.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum