Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Sumo Springs
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 11:26 PM   #11
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrinh15 View Post
I’ll plan on doing that as well. But these RVs are just so top-heavy. And I rather have a little more support underneath
Actually the stock F-53 chassis in my case, the center of gravity is is about one foot above the floor. The vehicles roll center is about even with the top of the tires. This is about the same as in a full side 4 door luxury American car. The problem is the class A driver and passenger heads are located about 7 ft above the roll center and perceive a much greater body roll than is actually there in degrees. Most new class a drivers are used to a 5 to 8 degree body toll in typical 0.2 g corner. This is about the same degree of the lean in a Class A as in the car, but RV drivers head is 2.0 to 2.5 times the distance above the roll center. than found in a car so they perceive a 12 to 18 degree roll which is not there. After 230,000 miles you get use to it and it seems natural.

When I get a new coach, I take it down to a large church parking lot that is empty and practice parking between the lines, driving up to a wall or curb and backing into a parking space or up to a wall using the backup camera and side mirrors.. I check out the brake pressure to engage the anti-lock brakes. I try to see how much body roll I can tolerate in an emergency maneuver. Finally, I see how many feet it takes to stop the coach on drive pavement from 60 mph. I think you will find it is over 200 ft as compared to 110 ft in a modern car. This is to show you can never out brake a car that suddenly decided to stop completely before turning. This is the minimum necessary to safely drive an new coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum