Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #20
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Simply by being a design 10 years newer would achieve some fuel economy savings.

Remember the V-10 was designed when performance/power were more desirable than fuel economy and thus it is thirsty--heck its almost a 20 year old engine! (My first V-10 was a '99 model)
The Ford modular engine family first came out in 1991 as a 4.6L V8, so its basic architecture is now over 25 years old.

You are correct, in 1997 Ford stroked the 4.6L V8 to make the 5.4L V8, which required a taller block (deck height). They also took the 5.4L V8 and added two cylinders to make the 6.8L V10. By modern standards these engines have a very long stroke compared to bore diameter. If starting from scratch, I doubt any company would make such an engine. The V10 particularly needs a balance shaft, which V8s don't. I think Ford most likely modified the 4.6L V8 to save money in not having to develop an all-new engine.

The 6.2L V8 was designed specifically for pickup trucks and introduced in 2010, so the architecture is 19 years newer. And being a 90-degree V8 should be smoother, and hopefully not as loud. I know initially there will be resistance to change, but the 6.2L V8 seems designed for heavy duty service. It has cast iron block, and uses 7 quarts of oil (the V10 only 6 quarts).

It will be interesting to see if MPGs are improved significantly or not, but even if the same, I'd take the more powerful and modern V8 anyway. With any luck it will get better fuel economy also.

P.S. -- My first V10 was a 1997, the first year made. It only made 275 HP, which was plenty for my small and light motorhome.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum