Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
ElectricZ

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: Texas
THOR #26120
Lightbulb Yet another Thor Axis/Vegas windshield sun shade hack

Hi all, I picked up a 2018 Thor Axis 25.4 back in April, perfectly timed to coincide with rocketing gas prices rocketing and an early Texas heat wave just to make things more interesting. I picked the Axis because I absolutely love the cockpit view, but of course all that glass really lets in that sun.

Toward that end I looked at all kinds of posts and videos on making sunshades with Reflectix and looked into custom shades all the way up to Magneshade. As awesome as their reviews are, I just couldn't justify shelling out a grand for a window shade. So I looked into some pre-built alternatives and found this StangH Portable Blackout Shade for $36.

Turned sideways, it's 78"x51", almost a perfect fit on my 25.4. If it were an inch or so taller I'd swear is was custom made for it. You can see in the pictures there's a gap at the bottom, but this was my first time putting it up so if I got it perfectly smooth and centered it might cover it up.

Anyway, it mounts with suction cups that go into grommets around the the edges. With a small two step ladder, it took about 5 minutes to put up after I cleaned the windshield. I can't find what the material is but the site says it's machine washable.

It was designed for indoor use so I have no idea how it will handle strong wind or rain, and the plastic parts of the suction cups will probably get obliterated by the sun, but it's 100% opaque and the difference it makes keeping the cabin cool is amazing. We've had some 15-20mph wind gusts and it's held so far. If it can't handle the elements and falls apart, I'll totally get another one and mount it on the inside - it won't be as effective as being outside, but every little bit helps.

There's also an 80% opaque version which would be cool if it allowed you to see outside like the Magneshade, but it may just not be as thick or something.

Anyway, if you're a Axis/Vegas owner and are looking for a cheap, low effort sunshade, this might do the trick.

EZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	38241   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	38242  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum