Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 11:26 PM   #1
Cwray

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Generator Won't Start

I am currently on a trip for the weekend and this morning when I tried to turn on the Genny--it wouldn't crank.

Following the advice on this thread, I took a voltmeter and tested for power in the front of Genny. I am not an electrician, and am horrible with the voltmeter and understanding what symbols mean what and how to do it.

But I set the voltmeter to DC (pretty sure, as it had the same symbol on the dial as under the red post on the generator), touched the red probe to the red post, and then took the black probe and placed it against the braided wire & screw next to the ground label. That read 12.75 volts--which according to the troubleshooting guide is what the generator needs to crank.

But still nada.

In one of the troubleshooting guides, I found a quote "if it does not crank, check the control fuse (5A Slo Blo, except models with electronic governor 10A)."

I have an Onan 5500 gas generator on a Hurricane 34j.

I'm now on a quest to figure out where that may be and if my model has an electronic governor or not--while the wife is driving the rig and we're both hoping the fridge doesn't get too warm and the stuff in the freezer doesn't thaw in the last 4 hours of driving we've done (and another 90 yet to do).

Life's an adventure, right?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum