Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #1
unsichtbarre

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #28540
Thor roof, how sturdy, how thick?

We have a 2016 24SR on which I am preparing to do a solar install using a Renology 400 watt kit.
  • How long a screw can I use without poking through?
  • What backs up the fiberglass roof?
My question relates to attaching the solar panels to the roof. How thick is the fiberglass, and what's below it? Obviously, I don't want screws poking through into the passenger compartment, and I also don't want solar panels flying off as I cruise down the highway at 75 mph.

If the fiberglass is either strong enough itself, or backed with wood or other backing, I feel I should be able to screw the Renology brackets to it directly.

If the backing isn't strong enough, it looks like I'll have to use some sort of an adhesive mount instead of the supplied brackets. There are some corner mounts available which have more square inches and can be securely adhesed to the outside of the roof without any screw holes.

Either way, I'm going to create a safety cable with some thin stainless wire just in case a panel decides to come loose while I'm driving down the road.

Thanks,
JB

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum