Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 02:34 AM   #16
Dan-sr@perra-us.net

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Do not forget the Motor home frame either. The hitch might be able to handle 8000# but the frame might not be able to handle the normal tongue weight for an 8000# hitch. On my old motorhome I had a custom hitch extension made so that I could carry four bikes on a bike rack total weight was maybe 200# but that plus the extra torque from the extra length of the extension bent the hitch mounting points downward. You will run into a similar problem if the hitch adapter is too much different than a level connection. On my stock Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, the baseplate location, just below the front bumper, provides an attachment point that is exactly the same height as the receiver on the motorhome. If I got an after-market front bumper with integrated tow attachment points the attachment point would be about 10" 12" higher. Also consider that the Dring loops are rated for recovery use only, not rated for flat towing. if you go that route then you need to buy a bumper that is engineered to have properly rated tow brackets installed.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum