Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 06:11 PM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
While it is true WBGO wants to be a leader if not already a pioneer in EV Motorhomes, I think there is another dominant reason for the acquisition. WBGO likes to crow that they Mfg 70- 80% of all of the parts that go into their RVs. It is true and pretty incredible. They state it is how they can control quality. I was surprised to learn that cabinetry, furniture etc is all made by WBGO.

I have always maintained that if I ever go Lithium it will be because I bought a new WBGO EV where it is a tried, true and proven system. Right now I am enjoying lead acid AGMs and generators like they going out of style.... wait they are; but you get my point. But who knows maybe one day they offer a kit whereby you replace an aging Onan with a new 50 or 30 Amp Lithium Power Center. If I can run my ACs 3 or 3 days without a charge, I will be all in.

FWIW I sold my Honda lawnmower last year and I have all Lithium lawn tools now. Lighter, quieter, no gas to store and maintain and no maintenance.
You are a little late, that idea is here already though I’m not sure if it’s just a dream or if they are actually in production. It’s a package similar to a generator and comes in different power and energy levels. Other companies may have similar units. I saw this weeks ago and saved picture as a reminder to research later.

The amount of energy stored in batteries is always going to be limited compared to a generator, which makes powering air conditioners for days impractical — at least within reasonable cost today. If not for long-term air conditioning, I think elimination of generator has a chance.

What’s interesting is that lithium batteries and inverters can now produce very high power levels at reasonable costs. They just can’t do it for long because of limited battery energy storage. Picture below shows a power unit similar to portable units like a Bluetti but much larger. Specs suggest many are physically larger than Onan 4000 or 5500 generators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AAB2C57-A47A-48E0-8FF5-CFA6487C4FD7.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	41363  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum