Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 11:23 PM   #1321
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Tom View Post
The recent posts about the things that "scare" newbies hits home. I probably spent a few hundred hours of research prior to our purchase almost 2 years ago at this point. We've spent about 6 months in the RV over the course of the last 20 months, so certainly not full timers, but would classify us as regulars at least. Here are things that I was nearly terrified about before becoming more experienced:

1. My fresh water tank will give wife and I salmonella, e-coli, listeria, bubonic plague, ricketts, scurvy and botulism unless cleaned out weekly with a toxic mix of chlorine, bleach, CLR, and buckets of white vinegar .
2. Every RV trip I will experience a multiple tire blowout. This is likely because I was .001 off on the recommended tire pressures and my tires that came installed on RV were from "Fast Eddies, Acquired from Abroad, Retread Tire Shop" in East Kneecap, Tn.
3. Every orifice in my RV will spray water on me during the next rain sprinkle if I don't spot weld, Eternabond and seal with goopy putty (at least 6" thick) every 3rd Tuesday.
4. Changing the oil and filter myself by using the RV leveler jacks is a death wish. I can use the RV 10-15 days at a time with jacks down, slide out, raucous wrestling matches the entire time and the 4 jacks don't budge, but first slight twist of a hand tight oil filter will cause the RV to crash down upon me killing me instantly.
5. If I don't plan 9 months in advance for the places we are visiting, we will be sleeping on the side of Interstate __ as there is no room at any RV park anymore.

I don't mean to slight anyone who's had any of the issues above, but with even the most basic prudence, and reasonable upkeep, you can avoid many issues. But, you do need to expect issues and be level headed when they arise.

Really enjoying some of the comments here.
Your additions are hilarious

1. Weigh your RV to calculate the Mfg psi setting based on axle and in some cases by tire. I get it if you have a weigh and you wish to apply it to scale, but putting the fear of God to knew owners just creates undue stress
2. The Generator is the worst thing since Hitler syndrome, I still don't get it.
3. Waste tank sensors don't work and you should not expect then too? 4 years and mine work as designed and are very accurate.
4. Slides - It has not been as bad of late, but I use to think I had to get some 2 X 4s to prevent the slide from sliding out why I drive down the road
5. Maybe my favorite, that a Norcold fridge would Never be cold. In Texas heat, I can have ice water / beer if I go to 5 stars on the setting. Fridge is 4 years old.
6. Pleather furniture will peel, my pleather still looks new
7. [CN] Your decals will crack and peel from all the oxidized gelcoat after 3 years...
8. [CN] Your batteries will be dead and unusable after 2 years... better plan on solar panels and lithium batteries.
9. Black tank will clog up due to the Poop buildup and/or lack of water. Some have even claim to have to use high pressure devices or sticks and it still clogs.
10: You need to load your RV up with peppermint balls, Irish Spring soap, or dryer sheet to keep the rats out despite the videos of the Rats eating Irish Spring soap and using the dryer sheets to make nice comfy beds in you cabinetry or drawers.
11. [GI_T] Add the many roof options. The roof is another one of those items that really had me scared to buy RV. Forums show pictures of RVs with very serious water damage, but they don't tell the part where RV owner may not have checked on RV at an outside storage for 3 years.
12. [GI_T] My fresh water tank will give you salmonella, e-coli, listeria, bubonic plague, ricketts, scurvy and botulism unless cleaned out weekly with a toxic mix of chlorine, bleach, CLR, and buckets of white vinegar .
13. [GI_T] Every RV trip I will experience a multiple tire blowout. This is likely because I was .001 off on the recommended tire pressures and my tires that came installed on RV were from "Fast Eddies, Acquired from Abroad, Retread Tire Shop" in East Kneecap, Tn.
14. [GI_T] Every orifice in my RV will spray water on me during the next rain sprinkle if I don't spot weld, Eternabond and seal with goopy putty (at least 6" thick) every 3rd Tuesday.
15. [GI_T] Changing the oil and filter myself by using the RV leveler jacks is a death wish. I can use the RV 10-15 days at a time with jacks down, slide out, raucous wrestling matches the entire time and the 4 jacks don't budge, but first slight twist of a hand tight oil filter will cause the RV to crash down upon me killing me instantly.
16. If I don't plan 9 months in advance for the places we are visiting, we will be sleeping on the side of Interstate __ as there is no room at any RV park anymore.
17. [CN]Driving RV with Propane Fridge ON will cause the whole thing to go up in a ball of flames while using propane while mobile.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum