Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #65
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
In the BIRD in my Axis, there are four wires. They are labeled black - ground, white - ignition coil, red coach battery, orange - ignition. Since Thor does not bother to match the color if any wire when they splice into a wire (they just seem to use any color they have at hand) it is difficult to follow the wires from the BIRD to their destination. The Trombetta isolator relay coil has four posts - two large and two small. The two large posts with the big red wires run to the chassis and coach batteries. The two small posts are a ground and power input. As I understand it, the way the system is supposed to be wired is the white isolator relay wire is supposed to go to the power input terminal in the Trombetta to power and open/close the Trombetta. The black wire from the BIRD goes to ground. The ground post from the Trombetta goes to ground. The red wire from the BIRD is connected somewhere to the coach batteries. The orange wire is connected to the right had large post in the Trombetta with a small fuse. When I pulled back the insulation from the wires coming from my BiRD, I found that Thir had spiced an orange wire to the white wire coming out of the BIRD and connected it to the power post on the Trombetta. The black wire from the BiRD apparently went to ground. The orange ignition wire was spliced to an orange wire which was attached to to large right post which is attached to the chassis battery. The red wire was sliced to some other color wire and disappeared into a wiring harness going back into the coach. The ground post at the Trombett was attached to a white wire leading to ground. In my four BIRD wires, three were wired correctly - black, white and orange, although their colors changed making it difficult to determine this. The red wire was not wired correctly. It should have gone back and been attached to the coach batteries. However, when I cut the red wire leading into the BIRD and measured the voltage it was different than the voltage in the coach batteries meaning that it could not have been wired to them, as it should have. My solution was to run the red wire from the BIRD directly to the large left hand post of the Trombetta (which is connected to the coach batteries) thru a small fuse.
On yours, I do not think that the orange wire from the BIRD that the diagram says goes to the engine start switch is missing. It is the wire coming from the large right post of your Trombetta with a small fuse attached. While I cannot be sure without looking at it, it looks to me as if the red wire from the BIRD does not go to the coach batteries as it should.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum