Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
Hittntherooad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Dreaded 3-6 Generator code

I had recently read numerous threads on the Onan generator shutting down from overheat while driving down the highway. On the way to Williamsburg last weekend the dash AC just couldn't keep up. I stopped and started the generator and turned on the coach AC. It was doing pretty good. We stopped at a shopping center before heading to Anvil Campground. I pointed my heat gun on the asphalt in the shopping center parking lot. 145 degrees. The generator shut down before I could get into the campground and get hooked up. Also glad I installed the second unit in place of the fantastic fan in the bedroom. With 3 kids running in and out all weekend, we needed it.
After reading some of the threads for remedies, it looked like some added a vent in the generator door or put a pipe to collect air from the front grill and direct it to the generator intake. I opted for the second. Hooked it up. Drove 40 miles yesterday in 96 degrees. Generator kept running the whole time. Will hold off on the vent in the door for now but I can see the problem is the cooling air intake on the generator is only 1 1/2 " from the compartment door when shut. Hopefully collecting the air from the grill will be cooler and solve the problem. About $40 in material. 6" semi rigid flexible duct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2598  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum