Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I agree. Anyone who buys it expecting to make up the cost in gas is probably going to be disappointed. If you are buying it to increase power and for better transmission shifting, for the 5 Spd transmission it looks (from the article and many other positive reviews that I have read) that it may be worth it. For the new 6 Spd transmission however, the jury is still out.
Exactly, couldn't agree more.

As to transmission differences, yeah, there should be a huge difference. I've driven motorhomes with the 5-speed 5R110 and didn't care for the way it drove. Gear spacings between overdrive, drive, and next lower gear were too wide, almost as bad as the previous 4-speed 4R100.

When I looked into the specifics, I found that the 5R110 was based off the 4R110, with the main difference that they can engage the "overdrive" gear on all 3 main gears (making for 6 gears total -- one combination is not normally used). The previous 4R100 like I had in Class C engages overdrive only in combination with drive.

When driving these 5-speed motorhomes in mountains, going from overdrive to drive increases RPMs by nearly 50%, and going down to 3rd gear will more than double RPMs (compared to overdrive). And with V10 being so loud at high RPMs, I doubt a mild tune would do enough good to satisfy my performance expectations. I'm glad Ford went to 6-speed and hope they replace V10 with smoother V8 next.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum