Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #36
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is correct: Total weight (coach + toad) has to be less than GCWR. When towing a toad there is almost no tongue weight so that calculation doesn't really come into play (the calc is coach + tongue weight < GVWR).
Doesn't the total weight have to be coach + toad + passengers + personal property < GCWR or GVWR? And of course the only way to know any of this for sure is to run across the scale, one time hooked up and one time not hooked up.

When we toured the Thor factory a few months ago I noticed that the new Challengers had 8,000 pound hitches. I asked the tour guide why these 2017 Challengers could have 8,000 pound hitches and mine (2014) looked the exact same and was stamped 5,000 pounds. He said it had to do with the way Thor was doing the frame extension.

The F53 Ford built full frame doesn't extend all the way to the back of the coach. Thor incorporates an extended frame into the welded box they mount on the Ford frame at the beginning of their build out at the factory.

I am just guessing but it seems from information at the factory tour that they have modified that frame extension some how to enable higher tow limits, at least on the new Challengers.

I am probably not going to exceed my 5,000 tow limit due to fear of possibly causing some type of rear frame flex or break issue.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum