Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #18
martinek.steve

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
You can do all sorts of homework, but with the general lack of interest in any Quality, you have to decide up front if you are willing to live with THOR over the long term. You might fall on the low end of defects or the high. I say this because, based on the numerous listing on this forum, it's a crap shoot. If this is homework, so be it. People that come here to gain information on THOR products and issues, should be ahead on the experience curve.

As far as Diesels. Modern diesel engines are surprisingly quiet. But on the typical Diesel the engine compartment is better insulated. Most people would never buy a Diesel vehicle, if it was worse than a gasser. I've owned, and still own, a number of diesels and they were all at least as quiet, in the passenger compartment, as a comparable gas engined vehicle. Especially true, if the gas engine is a high revving, screamer. Add to that the typical torque output and fuel economy improvements of a diesel.

My F350 pulling a 5th wheel was definitely quieter, especially in the mountains, than my 1994 Fleetwood Class C with a 460. And at minimum with a 2 mpg fuel economy improvement. The Sprinter, it's at least 3' shorter than the Fleetwood Class C, is again about 2 mpg better than my F350. But I haven't had the Sprinter in the mountains, yet. But I am anticipating the mpg to improve somewhat as it "breaks in".

But that's all personal preference.

With the weight capacities, I agree that that needs to be understood by the buyer ahead of time. After all, the manufacturer and the dealership are trying to make a sale, and can't be counted on to inform the buyer about such "minor" issues.

My Diesels, past and present : 1997 VW Passat TDI, 2005 Ford F350 and our new 2015 Siesta Sprinter (surprisingly quiet in passenger compartment without any user added insulation. Insulation is completely lacking in the coach to chassis interface between the front 2 seats and the living area. I plan on doing some insulation in future. Mainly for thermal reasons.)

People should try to find a dealer that is willing to advocate for you, instead of for the dealerships profits. Easy to say but not as easy to accomplish.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum