Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: House batteries
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've used the emergency start to start the genny. I had to do this for one simple reason (I'll give you a clue in a single word: "Harris").

I've wondered: Which is better: Start the genny and let it charge stuff up, or start the V-10 and let it charge stuff up. Sure the genny does take a little more cranking than the V-10 but its starter is smaller and thus shouldn't require the current the V-10 does.

Ultimately I think the decision comes down to: Which battery is "more dead"--start the other engine (e.g. if house battery has less charge than coach then start the V-10).
Personally, under those circumstances I would always start the V10 first.

There are many reasons I would start the engine first. One major concern is that if house batteries are too dead to start a little Onan, then connecting chassis battery to house in order to start Onan may suck too much juice from chassis battery to house batteries. Unless you disconnected the house batteries while attempting to start the Onan, the risks of getting stranded are much greater in my opinion.

I also agree with above comment; V10s normally start much faster than generators.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum