Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
Muggs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Upgrade from Vegas to Larger Class A?

We are looking at possibly upgrading from a 2016 Vegas 24.1 to a 30' to 32' class A such as an ACE, Hurricane or Windsport, maybe even an Alante.

Question 1
My initial concern is towing capacity. The Vegas is on e450 chassis and actually drives better with my 4500 to 6000 lb open racecar trailer behind it. I am not certain but I think the 188" wheelbase and small overhang helps overall stability. Towing is much better than my Suburban. How do the bigger class A units tow near weight limit? The Vegas is also extremely nimble in traffic and tight spots. I keep unit in my side yard after adding 30 amp outlet.
Question 2
The bigger class A units all have more additional systems, levelers and other systems that require a degree of attention. How much extra work will the bigger unit involve? The Vegas was barely used when bought and other than occasional bath, is not much different than my Suburban.
Question 3
After reading and hearing about Quality issues throughout industry, is buying a brand new unit that risky? I do fix and maintain most things myself.

We bought the Vegas to primarily tow racecar to track to allow me to cool off between rounds and eliminate hotels during multi day races. We have also taken 3trips to WDW, a long trip to NC and a 3 day trip to GA towing racecar. We find we want to travel more after using it. Being able to take dogs with us everywhere is also a major plus.

Is bigger unit going to give us enough benefit to justify expense? Is the extra room and complexity worth the extra overhead in weight, possibly 50% more than Vegas which means it may require a pad at house.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum