Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 04:04 AM   #8
bulldogpilot

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
If you aren't intending to do much night driving - it is hard to justify the price tag on the LED bulbs... If I added right - about $500 for what bulldogpilot did - even with the discounts the site kept throwing at me.

I've found the stock lights on my Hurricane to be 'ok'... might look at an upgrade next time bulbs are needed - but don't see springing for LEDs unless they come down in price.

Now - my interior lights - anything I use while parked and on battery - have all been converted to LED for the heat and power savings. Not as worried about the draw/heat when the engine is running.

(Not sure what the legal light output allowed is before considered 'off road use only' like many LED light bars, etc...)
Yah, I am a bit psycho when it comes to headlights. My AMG S63 is full LED, so I get a bit spoiled. I even swapped out the H11 fog lights in my Windsport, for some H9 Digital HIDs I had lying around. Yes, an H9 will fit in an H11 socket (just not the other way around). Not, that I really need the fog lights to begin with.

Also, I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains, CA, where there are no street lights and the mountain roads tend to be extremely dark and full of wild life and sometimes a single lane. For me, the brighter the better.

The 35W LEDs, like the 45W HIDs are street legal. Like I said previously, you have to take care that you have the correct type of light housing when switching to LED or HID, because you can and will blind on coming traffic, not to mention, the light output will not spread correctly in standard reflector style light housing. The 45W LED's I placed in my high beams, are bright and will blind on coming traffic, just like what high beams usually do.

Also, the LEDs can have a greater life span when compared to halogen or HID bulbs.

But as you said, if you do not drive a bunch at night, then spending a ton of money to upgrade your lights would be a totally waste of money. But, if you need more light at night, then I would go the LED route.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum