Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One issue I have had with my generator is due to lack of use, it can often fail when you need it.

If, under load - the generator tends "RPM-cycle"; that is - to vary it's RPM... where the RPM raises, then falls, then raises again and falls continuously (which is a very common issue), then it might have difficulty in supplying the load and may eventually quit (not to mention is not healthy for your air conditioner as the generator's output voltage will vary with the RPM cycling).

The problem when this happens is the generator has not been run enough, and there is fuel-varnish in the carburetor that may be partially obstructing the needle valve. In extreme cases, you have to take it in to be serviced as someone has to disassemble and clean the carb.

But sometimes you can fix it yourself with carb cleaner. Get the kind of cleaner that you can squirt into the throat of the carburetor. Most cleaners specifically warn against this (as these are intended to clean a disassembled carb), but there are a few that are made for the "squirt in carb" method (with the generator OFF).

Last summer, I turned on an electric heater (at night), which was about a 50% load, and the generator rpm-cycled for about 10 minutes then stalled. I'd start it again, and same thing. And, it got worse and worse.

I got some carb cleaner, turned the generator OFF, removed the air filter, then squirted some cleaner into the carb. When restarting, there was all kinds of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and the generator ran rough for a few seconds until it ran through the cleaner.

I did this about 5 or 6 times, and after doing so, the generator would then run the 50% load with no issues.

The genny is a couple of years old (2011), but only has about 3 hours on it, so it is "gummed up" due to non-use. Even then, since I first bought the coach (bought it used), I did run the genny once a month, but not under load (which I'll dope-slap myself as I know better than not to put it under load).

Since then though, I have run the genny every couple of months under the 50% load with the same heater, and I have had no issues since.

I need to caveat that using carb cleaner can be dangerous, so you are on your own if you decide to do it.

So the lesson learned here for me was that it is not sufficient to just start the genny every so often, but to run it under load for 30 minutes or so when you do.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum