Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
Chance, I was going to use my ipad mini also, but with areas of no cell service, I may go ahead and get the new Garmin unit.
From what I've read on this forum it appears some drivers use RV-specific GPS that provide a lot more information than what I get from Google maps, so that's another benefit to a GPS. Since I usually drive a rather small van by comparison to large motorhomes, having RV-specific route information isn't as critical for us to have.

Regarding cell coverage, we've been fairly lucky. We have only done a couple of long trips in the last two years and don't recall it being an issue. The last time I recall being without significant cell coverage was inside Yellowstone years ago, and I was using my Garmin back then.

Ideally I'd like to have the GPS built right into the factory dash and placed where it's easy to see without having to take eyes off the road. The disadvantage with that is my wife wouldn't have access to it as easily as the iPad, which we can just hand off. For now there are compromises either way.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum