Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
DocP

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Hello, and welcome to the Forum! I'm sure that many others will chime in here, but I recall being nervous as all get out when I first towed my Ford Explorer. The biggest thing I learned was to accurately gauge the length of the motorhome AND toad when changing lanes and turning corners. Turning right corners, in particular, made me nervous, as I had to totally rely on the passenger mirror to make sure that both vehicles had cleared and that I wasn't going up on the curb. Whenever possible, I try to make a wide turn and pull up further into the intersection before starting the turn.

I would particularly recommend trying to plan out your gas station refueling stops and make sure that you can easily enter and exit them with both vehicles. I prefer gas stations where the vehicles are parallel to the pump. I also carry a book called "The Next Exit" that tells me everything that is at each exit along the major interstates (e.g., gas stations, restaurants, medical facilities, etc). The nice feature of this book is that RV-friendly gas stations (i.e., easy access) are highlighted in red; which makes them easy to identify.

I still always keep my backup camera on when towing the car - perhaps that is simply paranoia on my part, but I must need constant reassurance that the toad is still back there! You'll find that the more your tow it, the more comfortable you will be with both the setup and drive. I, too, use the Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot brake system, and have had no issues with either.

Good luck - it will be second nature before you know it!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum