Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Level Ideas
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #12
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If we expand a bit on FW28z's analysis you quickly realize that even 3 degrees off level is a lot.
Over the course of my wheelbase (188") being 3 degrees off level would mean that one end is almost 10 inches (9.84) higher than the other. That is quite a bit--even our greatly sloped driveway where I have to raise the front of the camper by 6" to be level isn't 3 degrees (its more like 1.85 degrees).
At 6 degrees out of level one end of our camper would be almost 20 inches higher.
To figure these values out for your camper you can either use FW28z's triangle by doing this:
Code:
distance for 3 degrees rise = wheelbase * 0.75 / 14.3125
distance for 6 degrees rise = wheelbase * 1.5 / 14.3125
Or you can use trigonometry:
Code:
rise [in inches] = wheelbase[in inches] * sine(angle*PI/180)
(The PI/180 is in there because most calculators/spreadsheets take the angle in radians, if you are using a calculator that can set the units to degrees then you can leave out the PI/180.)
If I plug in the wheelbase of the 28Z Class C (212") the values for 3 and 6 degrees are even higher at 11" and 22" respectively. So to be 3 degrees off level a 28z would have to have an end higher than the other by almost a foot.
I'm using the wheelbases here because the distance is basically how far you'd have to lift a wheel to be level.
The furthest we've been out of level was at the Sweetwater, TN KOA. The campground is basically on the side of the hill and they terraced the campsites:

Even there it looks to be about 6" out of level or so...(of course that is side to side which would make for a higher angle due to the much shorter width of the camper LOL)
Having said that: Most campers are about 8' wide (or 96") a 3 degree tilt side to side would be about 5" (and thus 6 degrees is about 10").
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum