Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 05:07 AM   #18
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Sidenote, while I've ordered a Vegas, last year when I started down the path of researching an RV, when I first walked into a dealer I said, "I'm looking for a Sprinter based RV." I had 100% intention of getting an RV on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis and it wasn't until I had done many months of research that I realized it wasn't for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just that most motorhomes don't get driven that much, so it may take many years to accumulate 100,000 miles. You may consider that in payback estimates.

I've seen data showing that the average motorhome gets driven only about 5,000 miles per year. At that rate it would take 20 years to achieve those savings.

In addition to that, the MPG on the gas used in the calculation above is on the low side for gas. Based on feedback in forums, I've seen that the Ford's typically get 9-11, some claim a bit lower, some a bit higher, so 10 MPG is probably a safe comparison point. The sprinter based coaches 14-16, again, some reporting higher, some lower, but most seemed to be in that range, so lets say 15.

So, instead of 100% better fuel economy 7 to 14, it's more like a 50% improvement at 10 to 15.

Also, you will be lucky to only pay any less than $13k more for an MBS vs Ford, and several thousand more than that on like for like coaches is not unheard of. There is a reason why the Ford E series is the number one chassis for coaches.

So, if you figure 10/15 Ford/MBS, then the 100k savings is only $4000 (after the $600 on DEF). If we go with 9/16 (Ford/MBS) then we are about $7500 fuel savings.

That doesn't factor in higher maintenance costs, as mentioned above, which is why I said that it's possibly 200,000+ miles payback on fuel savings (also doesn't take into account interest on the higher loan amount if you finance, or lost investment income if you pay cash).

So, bottom line, when it comes to the Mercedes platform, fuel savings is fools gold when it comes to savings. It doesn't mean that the MBS might not be the perfect choice, it just shouldn't be based on fuel savings, because you just won't see that return ever pay off. Instead, the decision on MBS vs Ford needs to be based on which coach gives you the features and value for your money.

If it's about diesel payback, then the only real option in class C's is the crop that are starting to popup on the Ford transit diesel. Similar, possibly higher, MPG to the Mercedes, but without the price premium, and typically slightly higher CCC (cargo capacity) due to it being a lighter weight platform than the Mercedes. Downside is that I've mostly only seen smaller, tighter floorplans with it (Winnebago Fuse, Thor Compass, Sunseeker 2370TS, etc.)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum