Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Satellite
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #28
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefof View Post
Pros and cons to both, but recommend portable - NO additional hole through roof. I've used DirecTV and switched to Dish! DirecTV does not provide HD to portable systems! An installed unit such as mentioned on this thread will receive HD, but at a cost of approximately $1800 plus installation.

Have endured numerous frustrating conversations with DirecTV who often do not understand the nuances with RV systems. For example, virtually every time I moved from 1 location to another I would have to call 4-6 times before I spoke with someone who understood RV use and could help me reconnect.

Unlike a home-based setup where the equipment is given to you, in an RV you purchase the satellite dish and receiver(s). I purchased a Weingaard G2 at a cost of $600 and two receivers at $100 each from Camping World. DirecTV is still after me to return the equipment that I purchased to them. The G2 works with DirecTV (SD only), Dish HD or SD, Bell, and the Canadian provider (?); and, has two outputs to facilitate use of 2 TV simultaneously.
To be clear when discussing the pros and cons of roof mounted vs portable, and Direct-TV vs Dish, the above post may confuse things a little. With our roof mounted Direct-TV we were not required to buy any receivers. When the unit is installed you can have it installed for however many receiver you want. We decided we only wanted Direct-TV available on the living room and outside TV, so we bring one receiver from our home and it runs both TV's in the coach.

Also, when moving from spot to spot there is really not reason to call Direct-TV. When we were newbies we tired that a few times and it was a joke. The only reason you call is to change your location with them so you can get the local channels. We never call anymore because our roof top antenna generally gets the local channels in HD wherever we are camped anyway.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum