Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #21
TyCreek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If I recall correctly the campsite we stayed at in Yellowstone in May didn't allow any tents or soft-sided vehicles of any kind -- probably because of bears. After seeing a couple of grizzly adults from a safe distance in or near the park, I can see where it's necessary to protect campers, but also the bears. They look like they could do a lot of damage in seconds; and they would end up being put down.

By the way, what RV or camping type did you have/do before the Axis that let you pursue off-road adventures to a greater degree?
Yes, there are some parks that only allow hard sided units in their campgrounds. I think it's more to protect bears from people as we seem to be breading folks with zero common sense ... lol ... food attracts bears and soft sided tents and RVs do not contain the smell. It's not people they're after! You can backpack into those same places after you listen and sign acknowledgement to the warnings about keeping food in sealed containers etc... the rest of what might happen to you is how well the warnings are heeded! I see people asking for bear trouble all the time and it amazes me more encounters don't happen.

I gave up tents for everything but backpacking long ago and don't do that these days. I've had many small RV types over the years. Really everything except for a 5th wheel, though we've come close to getting one on several occasions and travel with folks that have them. Some early near RVs were box delivery vans both SRW & DRW. Several TT's, TC's, Class C's, B, B+, TH, etc... Some I've lifted with new or reworked springs or flipped the axles as they say (spring over vs. spring under). In the military I rented small scamp or like trailers on base because they were so cheap. The Axis is the largest RV I've actually owned for longer than a summer season. Its also the lowest to the ground of any previous rig ... primarily at the step/entry area.

My leveler blocks get as much use getting us in/out of places as they do for leveling. And sometimes it's just best to keep looking for a more accessible spot

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum