Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #20
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Perhaps a different perspective... but for my traveling I've been fine with Google Maps on my phone - rather than a dedicated GPS...
Certainly doesn't let me specify RV heights, etc - but hasn't caused any issues... No maps to maintain - no extra device to carry/power.

For gas stations, I take a close look before pulling in - especially when towing - and have driven past some - but many I can swing my 33 foot Hurricane around even the car pumps... I tend to use outside pumps... park a little further away from pumps to give me room to swing/turn...
Also found truck islands typically only have diesel - so end up in car area.
Have not yet (knocking wood) had the occasion to unhook/rehook to get out of anyplace. Doesn't take long with my setup to do so if needed.

As for non-hard surface - haven't done much 'off-road'...
One concert weekend we went to had us pull into a grass hilly area as part of the entrance - walked a bit of it first and watched others pulling in before picking the line I wanted to drive...

Taking some time to look - and not pulling in if you think there will be an issue is probably the best advice.

Everyone's situation is different - its finding what works for you.
I know Google maps is supposed to now have an offline mode, but haven't traveled any where I've needed to use it in the last few years (since they introduced that feature).

Do you find the offline mode works well? There are plenty of places around here where you hit dead spots with no cell coverage. In the past, I used to keep copilot loaded on my phone to use when Google Maps stopped working because there was no cell coverage.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum