Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
99dart

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
not sure I follow your original post situation:

-were you drycamping at your arrival spot?

-if so, did you use your generator?
-if so, did you allow the generator to run an hour or so before bedtime?
-do you have an AGS(AutomaticGeneratorStarter) to provide charging when needed?

for the 'fridge':
-is it hot outside?
-do you leave it on a 'high' setting overnight when not in use?
-were the items you packed into the fridge for your trip already cold?
-do you leave your ice maker on during the overnight?

also, you mentioned your 'alarm' from your inverter. I suppose you are referring to your LBCO(LowBatteryCutoff)? if so, this provides a method to cut off your inverter(fridge power) when your batteries reach a certain Voltage level. You can set this level yourself, just like you set your AGS Voltage setting to tell the Generator when to start up. The LBCO might be too high, giving you 'less' time on the inverter. If you want, try a lower setting, and see if that gets you thru the night. The drawback is that you could have it set so low that the generator won't start, but a little trial and error will help you identify the best setting. We use 11.8 on our AGS, and 11.1 on our LBCO.
oh, by the way, we have FOUR 6v batteries, and we rarely get thru a night without the AGS running the generator during that time.
Thanks for your reply. We are new to all the sophisticated gadgetry in this MH. In our old 1998 we started the genni when the furnace would no longer turn on or the carbon monoxide sensor started yelping! LOL
Yes, we were dry camping, nothing but us and nature. BTW, our coach came with two 12v batteries,but were shot. I "supposedly" upgraded to two 6v wet cell batteries. I did run the genni to run the AC for roughly an hr. The thermometer in the fridge was showing 34-35 degrees. We decided we would turn the fridge off for the night, so around 7:30pm we turned it off(oddly enough, I did think to push the arm up on the ice maker) to preserve power. Around 10pm we went to bed, so I checked the therm in fridge, 41*. I turned it back on to a low setting to hopefully maintain thru the night. Later is when the LBCO woke me. (this is where I need to figure out the adjustment) I then started the genni (2:30am) and sat up for an hr watching the "charge" condition. It didn't change from 12.0 the entire time! I shut down the genni, then the LBCO started again. In frustration I turned off the inverter and fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up I started the V10 (turned on the in dash heater, it was 59*) then, turned on the inverter. It was showing it was then charging, up over 12v don't remember exactly. I alternated running the genni or the V10 probably 3- 3 1/2 hrs during that day. That night was a repeat of the previous night.

So, to summarize.
I need to do some trial & error with the LBCO & AGS. Thanks for including your settings as a starting point.
Have the fridge on the coldest setting possible going into the night time. Turn off the Ice maker and any other un-necassary power draw. Which I always do. I think I will move the ice bin from the freezer to the fridge from now on.
AND, invest in having two more batteries installed. If needed, I have a friend that can weld up a battery tray.

Thanks again to all that have replied with ideas to "Help me make it thru the night"! Who sang that?! LOL

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum