Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #18
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One issue I think you will find if you change brands is they all use the same items from 3rd party vendors. There are some exceptions to be sure, but things like bathroom latches are made by someone else, and if they are the cheapest, they are bound to find their way into multiple brands.

One example is the tail lights I have on my rig, which are very popular with motorhomes. Problem is - mine leak. I am not sure how widespread this issue is, and how many others have experienced leaking tail lights.

So on one hand, you cannot blame and particular RV manufacturer for a supplier's defective product, you can blame them for selecting such a trouble-prone product.

The up-scale motorhomes, or at least the premium model motorhomes tend to use different brand tail lights.

I am replacing my tail lights this spring with the upscale ones that don't seem to have a leak problem.

I did talk to a supplier to the RV industry that I am acquainted with, and he sells upscale systems. He has a hard time selling to the industry as a whole as they are interested in the lowest prices.The RV manufacturer mindset is the least expensive is the best.

Mind you, this is just one person's perspective.

In boats, the old adage for some manufacturers was that a boat is built to only last as long as the warranty, and I wonder if the RV industry is any different.

It should not be that way, but as long as we insist on paying under $100k for a 30+ ft. motorhome with 3 flat screen TVs, two air conditioners, leather seating, upscale interiors, and other forms of electronic and mechanical bling, it's going to continue.

I saw a motorhome the other day that had a 32" TV that was on a motorized lift that made it disappear inside a cabinet. This was in a sub $100k RV. That lift probably cost $400 to include, which means the manufacturer had to cut $400 somewhere else.

Personally, I recognize that fact, and I would rather have a RV with a fixed TV and not cut corners to make up that $400. But how many people would be mesmerized by such bling and make their buying decisions on it. As a buying public, we're buying bling.

Remember, a motorhome is just a glorified tent.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum