Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 12:33 AM   #60
Greg84

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaasmund View Post
I haven't been on the site for quite a while, but when I did I noticed others with 36MQ model have had rain getting into furnaces. I recently had both furnaces start blowing air (not hot air) during a heavy rainstorm, even though the thermostat was off. I inspected the furnace compartments from the inside of the coach and saw water was was getting into the coach from the furnace area. After the rain stopped I opened the furnace compartments from outside and both circuit boards had standing water on them. I fiddled with the furnaces for a couple hours and finally ended up disconnecting the wires to make them stop running. About a week later I took the coach to a rv repair shop and they couldn't find anything wrong!! They were right-both heaters performed perfectly. I guess the units must have dried off enough and the circuit boards weren't destroyed by water. So how did the water get in there? I did find that both furnace compartment covers (not the removable covers but the larger compartment covers) had fine cracks in the sealant. I repaired that. But I did notice when I took off the removable furnace covers about half the screws were showing evidence of water intrusion.
I didn't know there was a retro kit for relocating the circuit board, but it sounds like a good thing to do. I am curious if you other folks with the water in your furnace have figured out how the water got in there? Did you have cracks in the compartment sealant? I can't see how it would come in through the exhaust apparatus? Is there something I am missing?
Thanks.

I had the same problem. While in Florida last spring during a thunderstorm the heater came on and would not turn off. It was 80 degrees. I had to open the side panel turn off the furnace with the rocker switch. I had to have that circuit board replaced.

In the fall the other one did the same thing, it eventually dried out and still worked.

I could never figure out how the water was getting into the compartment and onto the boards.

This year I bit the bullet and purchased two of the relocation kits, even those these are supposed to be dealer installed items, I had a dealer willing to buy them for me. Not cheap. $360 for total , but they came with a new circuit board (available for 80-90 on Amazon!). But I didn't want to have them go haywire during the next storm. The relocation kit is basically two formed plastic boards joined together in such a way as to hinge a little. I would think you could make one and install it the same way...upside down from its current location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Does the outside covers look like the ones in this thread?
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-4200.html
Mine did. Called Thor and they said I was out of warranty and there was nothing to be done. They were kind enough to send me my paint scheme so I could get some new panels from Atwood and have them painted the to match.

Called Atwood and told it was not a defect and they were designed that way. Wouldn't sell me a relocation kit either as it was a dealer installed item only. Not a happy camper after those two conversations.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum