Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #81

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Strictly by the numbers (engineering data), when smaller rig is going slower and getting 11 MPG, the Ford V-10 is too large for optimum fuel economy (it's not working hard enough for best thermal efficiency). Under those conditions a smaller gasoline engine, no larger than 5-liters, could be expected to improve fuel economy by up to 10%, pushing it to 12 MPG.

At higher speeds and/or while towing, there would be little benefit in downsizing engine displacement in itself. That's not to say some smaller Ford engines aren't inherently more efficient already.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #82
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps when the rig is empty...
But what about when it's pack full of everything for the typical trip?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #83
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
We get anywhere from 8 to 11 towing with Vegas. Speed has big impact, wind from front or quartering is hard on MPG. Towing 5500 lb open race car trailer only costs .5 MPG.

Best towing MPG came drafting a big DP on I-75.
Agree .. and yes regarding drafting on I-75 !! same on I-70 west to Denver !
We generally, hold at 60-65 ... a younger 'us' would be cruising down the road pushing the speed limit by 5 .. now...we take a bit off...take our time...enjoy the experience ... and .... it does help a tiny bit on mpg !

How many are like us ? We have several campground nearby...we enjoy getting away from home to these spots when obligations do not allow us to be gone for an extended period ! A day or two just works !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #84
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Agree .. and yes regarding drafting on I-75 !! same on I-70 west to Denver !
We generally, hold at 60-65 ... a younger 'us' would be cruising down the road pushing the speed limit by 5 .. now...we take a bit off...take our time...enjoy the experience ... and .... it does help a tiny bit on mpg !

How many are like us ? We have several campground nearby...we enjoy getting away from home to these spots when obligations do not allow us to be gone for an extended period ! A day or two just works !!
I'll often run in the right lane with the cruise set just a mph or two below ambient traffic speed. This way we're not too much a pain to other traffic, and I can leave the cruise control on (until we encounter someone going a mph or more below our cruising speed LOL).

That methodology gets us there in plenty of time and lends itself for a more stress free drive (at least for the driver).

Of course that does depend on ambient traffic speeds--in some places that is 65, in other places its closer to 80!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #85
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We just drive our own vehicle, and let the other motorists drive theirs...

They've got turnsignals and steering wheels also: getting around us should not be a problem.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #86

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I'll often run in the right lane with the cruise set just a mph or two below ambient traffic speed. This way we're not too much a pain to other traffic, and I can leave the cruise control on (until we encounter someone going a mph or more below our cruising speed LOL).

....cut....
Driving slower certainly can save fuel. This is particularly true if engine is smaller so thermal efficiency doesn't fall off a cliff at the much lower power requirements associated with low vehicle speeds.

There isn't much data to analyze or compare, but one that is close to Axis/Vegas are small Class Cs based on Transit chassis. With 3.7L gasoline V6, these small Cs that are as wide and just about a foot lower than Axis are getting much higher MPG; particularly at lower speeds.

An obvious major down side of an Axis-size-motorhome having such a small engine is that it wouldn't be able to tow much, if anything.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 PM   #87
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Driving slower certainly can save fuel. This is particularly true if engine is smaller so thermal efficiency doesn't fall off a cliff at the much lower power requirements associated with low vehicle speeds.

There isn't much data to analyze or compare, but one that is close to Axis/Vegas are small Class Cs based on Transit chassis. With 3.7L gasoline V6, these small Cs that are as wide and just about a foot lower than Axis are getting much higher MPG; particularly at lower speeds.

An obvious major down side of an Axis-size-motorhome having such a small engine is that it wouldn't be able to tow much, if anything.
In that case the manufacturer could either use turbo charging (e.g. an Ecoboost engine) or cylinder deactivation (don't think GM and Chrysler are selling those anymore).
Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #88
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But the Sprinter and Transit chassis-equipped rigs do get some pretty decent fuel mileage...

If you like oil-burners!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #89
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But the Sprinter and Transit chassis-equipped rigs do get some pretty decent fuel mileage...

If you like oil-burners!
You can get a Transit class B with a gas V6 in it:
Coachmen Crossfit
Old 01-29-2018, 12:00 AM   #90
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Too small for my tastes...

And the diesels would get much better milage, AND offer loads better pulling-power!
Old 01-29-2018, 04:00 AM   #91

THOR #2121
Quote:
You can get a Transit class B with a gas V6 in it:
Coachmen Crossfit

It's not just Class Bs that are available with the Transit's 3.7L gasoline V6. There are also small Class Cs based on the gas Transit Cutaway.

The following post in a different forum discusses what one may be able to expect from smaller gasoline motorhomes. I find it impressive:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/coach...-279590-2.html

Quote:
I own a Coachmen Orion CB20. It is the exact same base as the Freelander. The only differences are some upgraded amenities. We just got back from a 5400 mile trip from just south of Atlanta up through Rapid City South Dakota on to Yellowstone. We returned from the west of Yellowstone down through Idaho, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. Then east to Oklahoma City down to Dallas then east back home. This model on the Ford Transit chassis with the 3.7 V6 is quite impressive. It has all the power you could ask for and handles smoothly. It handled great in the mountains on the smaller state highways and in the national parks.
As far as mpg, we averaged 11.5 mpg for the whole trip. However it really had more to do with speed and elevation than it does with just average mpg. On our way to rapid city. We averaged about 75 miles per hour on interstates and pretty much averaged 11 mpg. The western states have 80 to 85 mile per hour speed limits. And traffic goes much faster. As we got higher up in elevation our mpg increased. Also when we stayed between 68 to 72 mph it increased also. The speeds we averaged depended more on making schedules than just being a speed demon. We averaged about 16 mpg while in the mountains of the black hills and Yellowstone.

After our scheduled camping and sightseeing we decided to take the much longer route back. When we started we noticed that that we were averaging 14 to 15 mpg on the interstates. We were averaging speeds of 72 to 75 mph. As we got into lower elevations we noticed the mpg going down so we slowed to average of 68 mph the rest of the way home. The mpg continued to fall to 11 mpg even at slower speeds.

I found this to be somewhat interesting since everything I had read on the Ford v10 said you got the same low mpg at any speed or how heavy you were or pulling a toad.

So your mpg should be around 12.5 to 14 mpg if you travel at 60 to 65 mph. I have read of others getting this mpg even pulling a Smart car toad when keeping the speed at 62 mph.

All in all this is a very nice motorhome for any couple who are looking for nice comfort and decent mpg. But will give you plenty of power when needed or wanted.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:33 AM   #92
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:

That methodology gets us there in plenty of time and lends itself for a more stress free drive (at least for the driver).

Of course that does depend on ambient traffic speeds--in some places that is 65, in other places its closer to 80!
Yes...that is, pretty much, what Ron does. He would never impede traffic flow..as he hates it when some else does it. He is just not in a hurry anymore !Then there are the locations..for instance Florida...you just must drive what everyone else is driving or you get run over !!!

WE both, always, enjoy your opinions Jamie !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #93

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
The downside of smaller engine would be less reserve power. My Vegas loaded is 18,500 lbs on average. The GCVW is 22,000. The gearing and trans ratios combined with short tires gives it excellent available power at a wide range of speed. I am very impressed wih the V-10 and I drag race a Chevy.

If completely optimized for highway cruising it may pick up 1 to 2 MPG. The overall flexibility for me would be reduced. I tow racecar trailer 75% of time.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #94
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
!Then there are the locations..for instance Florida...you just must drive what everyone else is driving or you get run over
I'd LOVE to see what they're motoring around in! The thought of scaling a 13 foot-tall motorhome is... impressive!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #95
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'd LOVE to see what they're motoring around in! The thought of scaling a 13 foot-tall motorhome is... impressive!
yep....toooooo funny
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #96
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If anyone tried to run over my "short" 11 foot-tall rig: I'd sic my Legal Team on them...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1517232963
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Lawyers.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	8790  
Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #97

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
The downside of smaller engine would be less reserve power. My Vegas loaded is 18,500 lbs on average. ...cut...
You're 100% correct.

Fortunate for those Orion/Freelander Class C owners, their rigs are so light that they have greater power-to-weight than you do when you're towing.

To be clear, I wasn't implying a 3.7L V6 from Transit would be adequate for an Axis-size motorhome. American drivers want more power.