Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 6
Coach battery not charging

We have a 2019 Quantum PD31. While connected to shore power the coach batteries don't seem to be charging. I thought this was an automatic function when connected to shore power. Ideas?
__________________

JE Kerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 6,331
Did you remember to set your "Use/Store" switch to "Use"?
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Axis 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 1,850
I don’t know if your Quantum has this function, but my Axis and many other Thor RVs have a Battery Control Center (BCC) or BIRD and Trombetta (or similar) that allows shore power and generator to charge the chassis battery and the alternator to charge the house batteries. Store/use switch has to be in Use mode for this to work. In my Axis, the BIRD was miswired at the factory so the chassis battery did not charge under shore power or battery.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 6,331
So I guess that "The Bird Is The Word..."


__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: North Carolina
Posts: 971
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Kerker View Post
We have a 2019 Quantum PD31. While connected to shore power the coach batteries don't seem to be charging....
some questions to help us:

- 'why' do you need them 'charged' while being parked?
- 'why' do you think they are NOT being charged?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
Posts: 28
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Kerker View Post
We have a 2019 Quantum PD31. While connected to shore power the coach batteries don't seem to be charging. I thought this was an automatic function when connected to shore power. Ideas?
I have a 2018 PD31, the batteries charge on shore power.....I could not tell you where they hid the BIRD though!
cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 6
WOW, that was it . All I had to do was click the main power switch and charging started instantly.
This is our first day out in our new Thor and I'm still learning how all the different systems work. Thanks to a very helpful forum group for taking some of the stress out of this learning process.
JE Kerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 6,331
Glad to hear that is was this easy...

Enjoy your trip!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
Posts: 261
In my 2018 Freedom Elite 22FE, when I plug into shore power, use switch automatically switches to on. I think yours should do the same and if not, and since it's a 2019, must be under warranty, get who ever you bought from check it out, if you bought from a dealer.
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Tfryman's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
In my 2018 Freedom Elite 22FE, when I plug into shore power, use switch automatically switches to on. I think yours should do the same and if not, and since it's a 2019, must be under warranty, get who ever you bought from check it out, if you bought from a dealer.
Just because the light is lit doesn't mean the switch is on in your coach. It just means there is power supplied to the DC buss (by the converter if on SP and the switch is OFF or in STORE).
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
Tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Just because the light is lit doesn't mean the switch is on in your coach. It just means there is power supplied to the DC buss (by the converter if on SP and the switch is OFF or in STORE).
I don't have a "store" switch in my rig. It's an on off and comes on with shore power automatically when I plug in to shore power. 110v outlets work and everything else 110v. Yours must be different than mine.
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tfryman's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I don't have a "store" switch in my rig. It's an on off and comes on with shore power automatically when I plug in to shore power. 110v outlets work and everything else 110v. Yours must be different than mine.
I said "OFF". We're talking about 12 VDC. Of course your 120 VAC appliances work when on SP. Your DC loads will as well. It doesn't mean your battery is connected to the DC buss.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
Tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
Posts: 261
I don't know what a DC buss is, what it looks like or if one, where it's located. I'm not an expert as some seem to be and pardon me for being a dumb noob to R.V.s. All I care about is red light on everything works on AC and DC and batteries are charging. And I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here, "of course".
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 6,750
Yeah some of the Freedom RV's don't have a switch labeled Use/Store and it operates a little differently than the traditional Use/Store switch but has a similar purpose: To disconnect the 12V system from the battery(ies) in an attempt to hold their charge longer.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2016 C-Max Energi
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Tfryman's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I don't know what a DC buss is, what it looks like or if one, where it's located. I'm not an expert as some seem to be and pardon me for being a dumb noob to R.V.s. All I care about is red light on everything works on AC and DC and batteries are charging. And I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here, "of course".
And that is why we are all here: to learn more about our RVs.

The DC buss is simply the 12 Volt DC power distribution system in your RV. The CONVERTER which takes your 120 VAC and converts it to 12 VDC to supply the loads on the DC buss and charge the battery is hard wired to the DC buss (through fuses).

Your battery is connected to the DC buss by a relay controlled by your ON-OFF switch (or USE-STORE switch).

In your coach there is a red light that lights when there is power to the DC buss. The light does not care where the power comes from. If you are plugged into SP then the light will light and show 12 VDC on the DC buss.
If you are not plugged into SP and your switch is is OFF there will be no light, but if you put the switch in ON, the battery will supply the light and your DC loads (like cabin lights, fridge, water heater, furnace) will function.

If you are plugged into SP the light will be lite whether your switch is in ON or OFF; BUT, if you put the switch in OFF your battery will not charge (unless you have a unique coach that is not wired normally).

My initial post was just to inform you that the red light does not necessarily mean your battery is charging.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
Tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I don't know what a DC buss is, what it looks like or if one, where it's located. I'm not an expert as some seem to be and pardon me for being a dumb noob to R.V.s. All I care about is red light on everything works on AC and DC and batteries are charging. And I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here, "of course".
Nobody is dumb in here: some of the rigs (Probably most of them!); have configurations that might be a bit... different!
So we either have to adapt what we learn to what we have: or we wait until someone in here with a comparable rig can explain it to us in a manner that makes sense.

The explanations you got just may have not been what you were looking for...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Cason61's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Kerker View Post
WOW, that was it . All I had to do was click the main power switch and charging started instantly.
This is our first day out in our new Thor and I'm still learning how all the different systems work. Thanks to a very helpful forum group for taking some of the stress out of this learning process.
Yeah, the dealer or the manufacturer should make a DVD of the 'way' the RV works. Like, how to do this, how to do that. How about they build a say 1000 digit readout for problems and what you can do to trouble shoot. 100 series for engine, 200 for body, 300 for trans and wheels... Don't seem difficult to put this together really. Might have to print 2-3 discs but that wouldn't be too tough to do. With the cost of RV, why can't they spring for operation / troubleshooting DVDs?
Cason61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
Posts: 261
The so called "owners manual" I got with my 2018 Freedom Elite is nothing but a manual with general information and not specific to my rig. I've learned more from this site and others on the internet than anything in that manual.
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Yeah, the dealer or the manufacturer should make a DVD of the 'way' the RV works. Like, how to do this, how to do that. How about they build a say 1000 digit readout for problems and what you can do to trouble shoot. 100 series for engine, 200 for body, 300 for trans and wheels... Don't seem difficult to put this together really. Might have to print 2-3 discs but that wouldn't be too tough to do. With the cost of RV, why can't they spring for operation / troubleshooting DVDs?
Thor depends on the dealer and their PDI to teach you how the coach works and where everything is located. A good PDI will take about 5 hours over two days. You are wise to video the entire PDI. The dealer should require you to spend one night in the coach before you leave the lot and make sure you have used all the coach's systems. Anything less and the dealer has violated their contract with Thor. I had the opportunity to spend a day with Thor's south-east dealer trainer this spring. A very informative day. There are seven salesman trainers on Thor's payroll plus 12 maintenance trainers which travel the US. Thor has 14 plants and 197 operating facilities producing 54,000 motorized units consisting of 184 different models and configurations (2017).
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
The so called "owners manual" I got with my 2018 Freedom Elite is nothing but a manual with general information and not specific to my rig. I've learned more from this site and others on the internet than anything in that manual.
I agree: These forums are worth their weight in free firewood, propane, and fresh water!
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2