Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 558
THOR #12329
doesn't anyone carry a spare tire anymore?

what happens when you get a flat up in the hills
__________________

__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,152
THOR #8860
That's easy: you call for help, and start cooking meals for the next couple of days!
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 558
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That's easy: you call for help, and start cooking meals for the next couple of days!
what if you don't have cell service, and you're out of hamburgers
__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 436
THOR #5313
Have 1 spare for Vegas along with jack and long breaker bar with pipe.

Usually carry 2 spares for open car trailer along with spare set of slicks and fronts for drag car.

Have 3 roadside assistance but usually will not wait if schedule is anywhere near tight.
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 603
THOR #1620
I purchased a spare for my ACE. I dont want to wait and wonder if someone is coming and then get ripped off because I am in a tight spot. To each their own.
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 558
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
I purchased a spare for my ACE. I dont want to wait and wonder if someone is coming and then get ripped off because I am in a tight spot. To each their own.
I'm trying to give away for free,2 new 10 lug wheels,..I hate to throw them in the trash,... but looks like that's where they are going...I'm doing my spring garage clean up..
__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 558
THOR #12329
here's what happened to my son,... got a blow out,.. by the time he got stopped and pulled off the road.... rim was ruined...luckily he had a spare , put it on and drove home...if not, he would have had to get towed, he was towing a trailer, so that would also had to get towed...and then it would have set waiting for them to find a rim...and you can amagine the cost when they have you over a barrel
__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 603
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
I'm trying to give away for free,2 new 10 lug wheels,..I hate to throw them in the trash,... but looks like that's where they are going...I'm doing my spring garage clean up..
What is the rim width do you know? Are these 19.5" rims
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 558
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
What is the rim width do you know? Are these 19.5" rims
they are ford f53 takeoffs from my 2017winniebago vista, 19.5 x6.75 10 lug
__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 558
THOR #12329
just so everyone knows,... you can't use ford f550 or f450 they are only 6'' wide...and if you put them on the duals it makes the tires different...it could probley work for a short distance... but it wouldn't be right... these rims have steel valve stims and only 2600 miles... look new again... hate to just throw them away...pretty sure I could sell them on craigs list... but don't wanna deal with it and would rather just throw them away...
__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 603
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
they are ford f53 takeoffs from my winniebago, 19.5 x6.75 10 lug
I would love to take them off your hands but I am in ohio and my guess is ups wouldnt be friendly. Man these are like hens teeth, I had a hell of a time finding one for mine. All kinds of 6 and 6-1/4 off of F450s. I wouldnt throw them out yet. Let me ask around and see if anyone is will to pay the freight to get one from you. If you want, your call
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 603
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
just so everyone knows,... you can't use ford f550 or f450 they are only 6'' wide...and if you put them on the duals it makes the tires different...it could probley work for a short distance... but it wouldn't be right... these rims have steel valve stims and only 2600 miles... look new again... hate to just throw them away...pretty sure I could sell them on craigs list... but don't wanna deal with it and would rather just throw them away...
Yeah, I understand that feeling. Sucks when you have something you know someone could use but the grief to the transaction sucks.
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,578
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
I would love to take them off your hands but I am in ohio and my guess is ups wouldnt be friendly. Man these are like hens teeth, I had a hell of a time finding one for mine. All kinds of 6 and 6-1/4 off of F450s. I wouldnt throw them out yet. Let me ask around and see if anyone is will to pay the freight to get one from you. If you want, your call


Yeah Id certainly like one but I also expect the freight to Indiana could be crippling. If you happen to get an estimate Id consider it. Sure hate to see them go to trash!
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:47 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 603
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Yeah I’d certainly like one but I also expect the freight to Indiana could be crippling. If you happen to get an estimate I’d consider it. Sure hate to see them go to trash!
I can tell you this Pete, I bought one new because I couldnt find a used one and it set me back $180. Shipping will be a bargain. I think it came to me just as a rim with a tag on it no box also.

If you get an estimate Vegas let me know I may take the second one
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 558
THOR #12329
I was trying not to do anything but have someone take them out of my garage.. they are in boxes... and a super rare find...and free...was hoping for a las vegas reader to say, hey I'll come and get them....doesn't seem like we have any other las vegas members here
__________________
vegasruv24.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Montana
Posts: 1
THOR #11703
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
what happens when you get a flat up in the hills
We had a flat after driving thru a construction zone the second day we had our motorhome and found it was hard to find anyone who both carried the right size replacement and could change the tire. So, we now carry a spare tire without the rim. Most any place that changes tires can mount the spare on to the rim.
__________________
imagetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 603
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagetrek View Post
We had a flat after driving thru a construction zone the second day we had our motorhome and found it was hard to find anyone who both carried the right size replacement and could change the tire. So, we now carry a spare tire without the rim. Most any place that changes tires can mount the spare on to the rim.
Dont know what motorhome you have but I know for a fact that the 19.5 tires can be tough to find on the road outside of a large town, so for that reason alone I now carry a spare.
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,152
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
what if you don't have cell service, and you're out of hamburgers
Isn't that what hitchhikers are for?
If there's no cell service: nobody is going to be calling the Police anyway!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:00 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
Posts: 433
THOR #13869
I made a bracket, fitted it to the RV underneath, for a spare tire, and carry it.
Not only some of the horrors folks mentioned here already, just think of the overall cost for them to find what you need, to getting it installed, let alone the tow from the breakdown spot.

I have some money, but never looking to add a $2K unexpected expense, on a trip.
I understand do-do happens, but please, for the peace of mind.

Our roadside assistance does not provide you with a needed spare, only the labor to get your spare swapped into place.
__________________
At my young age, lol...
You could still maybe see me rolling down the highway, on my motorcycle, pulling a trailer with camp gear, smiling, beard in braids...
Feeling The Wind! (FTW)
Rusty
10scDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:07 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 3
THOR #10862
Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Yeah Id certainly like one but I also expect the freight to Indiana could be crippling. If you happen to get an estimate Id consider it. Sure hate to see them go to trash!

Haven't done this in a long time but. Back in the day if I needed to ship something like tires or wheels the best deal in town to do it was via Grayhound. Just put them on the bus saved lots of money that way but that was back in the 70's might still be a good deal??
__________________

__________________
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×