Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #341

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post

You are right about the gaps and uneven pad sizes in the couch bed. It is a poor design and anyone over 5' tall is going to resent having to sleep there.

Yeah that couch/bed is terrible. Those included cushions found underneath fit horribly. The back cushions actually fit better. It's really not comfortable for sleeping or sitting. We skipped the theater seating because while the footrests are nice, the backs don't recline. That, and we wanted the extra sleeping space. As it stands we didn't even really get that.

This is what I'm hoping to eventually find, a reclining couch that also converts to a bed:

Or this:

Villa 58" Sleeper Sofa - Sofas

Anyone have any leads on that type of furniture? I know Flexsteel makes the driver and passenger seats, but to they also make the couch and dinette? Thought maybe I could order something like that, that would also match the rest of the furniture.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #342

State: California
THOR #8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Not specifically neck and back protection, but there is a wall that limits movement, no padding though. Rear facing dinette seats have no support, in a crash the body would bend at middle of the back and also the neck area causing serious, if not fatal, injury. Sit in the dinette and lean backwards, now imagine doing that in a violent crash. My wife sits at the dinette frequently while we're on the road, I will NOT allow her to sit in the rear facing seat!!!
Oh, yeah, I guess I can understand for an adult. But I was referring to a child in a car seat sitting on the rear-facing side of the dinette. Since they keep pushing back the age that a child should be sitting rear-facing, I just figured maybe that meant they were safer sitting on the rear-facing side of the dinette. But I guess we'll have to settle with the forward facing side of dinette and couch.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #343

THOR #8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Yeah that couch/bed is terrible. Those included cushions found underneath fit horribly. The back cushions actually fit better. It's really not comfortable for sleeping or sitting. We skipped the theater seating because while the footrests are nice, the backs don't recline. That, and we wanted the extra sleeping space. As it stands we didn't even really get that.

This is what I'm hoping to eventually find, a reclining couch that also converts to a bed:

Or this:

Anyone have any leads on that type of furniture? I know Flexsteel makes the driver and passenger seats, but to they also make the couch and dinette? Thought maybe I could order something like that, that would also match the rest of the furniture.

Ooooh! I really like the couch in that video!!

Has anyone added a coffee table in front of their couch? We've never owned a driveable, only travel trailer, so this is new territory for us. I'd imagine one that could be stored during transit would be best.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #344

Model: Challenger 37tb
THOR #2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makes6 View Post
Hi All!

Newbie here. This post has been super helpful! We should be purchasing our Challenger 37TB this Saturday! We looked it over last night to see what needed to be fixed. I have some questions:

1.) When we saw it last week, the salesman told us that you could play the same thing on all 5 TVs at the same time. We tried to last night, but were only able to get cartoons on the living room TV and master bedroom tv, but not on the bunks. We saw that 5 hdmi cables were connected to the living room tv box, so it looks like you "should" be able to connect to the other tvs. The guy helping us do the walk-thru, didn't know. Can anyone confirm if you can watch the same thing on all? Or do the bunks only do tv and their own DVD?

2.) How the heck do you convert the couch to a bed?! Any way that we configured it, left gaps. I know it's not an ideal bed, but we couldn't figure out a way to make it decent.

3.) Have you guys had issues with the velcro ripping off of the dinette cushions? This coach is a 2017, but was used briefly. While inspecting it, the velcro was either completely ripped off some, or starting to come off. I'm sure they'll fix it, but it looks like it will just happen again since it's only held on by a couple of screws.

4.) Why do they not have seat belts on the other side of dinette? Could I install them? Would that be safer than the couch? I have 4 kids (ages 9, 7, 4 year old twins), what is the safest way to have them ride? Can they sit on the couch? I know some coaches have seat belts on the couch but then tell you not to use them for driving! Weird. I haven't been able to google info on this for the Challenger. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Hi Makes6,

Go ahead and get your dinette cushions repaired now with a upgraded material similar to what they use in boats. I had the same problem and recently took to a upholstery shop that charged me $100 for 2 cushions. The problem is the material is paper thin and over kill on valcro cushion. i had the bottom portion of cushion removed and replaced. You would never know.

Let us know once you figure out the bunk tvs...as you are right. No hdmi only cable to them.

Enjoy your 37tb... and don't hesitate to email anytime. I have corrected or figured out many things with our 37tb in the last 2 years.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #345

THOR #8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by rving2015 View Post
Hi Makes6,

Go ahead and get your dinette cushions repaired now with a upgraded material similar to what they use in boats. I had the same problem and recently took to a upholstery shop that charged me $100 for 2 cushions. The problem is the material is paper thin and over kill on valcro cushion. i had the bottom portion of cushion removed and replaced. You would never know.

Let us know once you figure out the bunk tvs...as you are right. No hdmi only cable to them.

Enjoy your 37tb... and don't hesitate to email anytime. I have corrected or figured out many things with our 37tb in the last 2 years.
Thank you so much! Will do!
Old 08-19-2017, 12:41 AM   #346
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Thank you. That's what I was thinking as well. My twins are in high back booster seats which require a chest belt. I'm thinking of buying them a 5 point harness car seat, and installing them with the lap belts.That would give them head support and support their chests. I'm debating even getting 5 point harness seats for my older two, but not sure yet.
Let us know what you end up getting and how it works...
Ours will be out of the booster seat by next summer - so time to figure the next step...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:15 AM   #347

THOR #8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Let us know what you end up getting and how it works...
Ours will be out of the booster seat by next summer - so time to figure the next step...

Will do! How old are your kids? Are you thinking of going back to a 5 point harness car seat too?
Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #348

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Quote:
Ooooh! I really like the couch in that video!!

Has anyone added a coffee table in front of their couch? We've never owned a driveable, only travel trailer, so this is new territory for us. I'd imagine one that could be stored during transit would be best.
Look at "turner coffee tables". Very handy in RV. Serve as plain coffee table and top hinges up and back to provide eating or work surface. Most even have a small amount of storage under the top. Depending on design you may need to put heavy stuff in tables storage to keep open table from tilting. We had one in our previous MH and stored it upside down and secured with seat belt on couch when underway. Due to springs trying to open table when turning it upside down - you may need a screen door hook or slide bolt to keep it closed.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...r+coffee+table
Old 08-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #349

THOR #8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Look at "turner coffee tables". Very handy in RV. Serve as plain coffee table and top hinges up and back to provide eating or work surface. Most even have a small amount of storage under the top. Depending on design you may need to put heavy stuff in tables storage to keep open table from tilting. We had one in our previous MH and stored it upside down and secured with seat belt on couch when underway. Due to springs trying to open table when turning it upside down - you may need a screen door hook or slide bolt to keep it closed.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...r+coffee+table

Thanks! I saw one similar to this but it was an ottoman with storage and a table top that came out. It was so expensive though!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #350

Model: Challenger
State: Michigan
THOR #5237
Agree The sofa bed leaves a lot to be desired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post

Or this:

Totally agree with the assessment on the coach. Love the video of the Winnebago sofa sleeper. Looks like it would be a perfect fit for our 37TB
Old 08-25-2017, 04:27 AM   #351

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Just returned from the initial introduction to my new 37TB at Total Value RV in Elkhart! Like the new tilt bed design for 2018....gives you so much room to maneuver in the master bedroom. Just hope that motor is not one more opportunity for a malfunction.

The Bluetooth light control pads seem to work well, and reducing the potential for wiring issues to pop up later by eliminating 80% of the wires sounds like a good idea.

I was disappointed to learn that the Rapidcamp remote control is no longer available, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the finish work. Especially after reading complaints here, I was braced for the worst.

They will do their prep and add safe-t-plus, and I will drive back to pick it up the day after Labor Day. I live 500 miles away, in Knoxville, and I don't want to start my first highway journey in that monster with holiday traffic.

I would love to have an experienced RVer help me with the final inspection, Sept. 6, if anybody lives in the Elkhart area and has a free afternoon.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #352

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Welcome to the "Challenger Owners Club" no dues and no rules. Owning a Thor Challenger automatically gets you in the club. Sign-up for free at RVillage - https://www.rvillage.com/group/2171/...r-owners-unite. If you keep your location current you will get to meet other Challenger owners face to face. Since you are buying there may be a Challenger owner nearby that would be willing to help with the pre-delivery inspection or help explain things after delivery. Before you start loading her up I recommend a complete inventory of all system components like slide controllers, inverter, circuit breakers, fuses, drain valves etc. Keep up with http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...te-150811.html. Post your questions, problems, solutions and adventures. If you have time read from post #1 lots of good info. And welcome to the club.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:11 AM   #353

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #6185
Love our Challenger

We just started the purchase process for a new 2017 Challenger 37 LX at MHSRV! We are supposed to take delivery on Thursday and do at least one overnight to make sure everything is working properly. MHSRV is an amazing dealership, and I wish all sales places would emulate how they do business! We can't wait to get on the road!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	6539
Old 08-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #354

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
We just started the purchase process for a new 2017 Challenger 37 LX at MHSRV! We are supposed to take delivery on Thursday and do at least one overnight to make sure everything is working properly. MHSRV is an amazing dealership, and I wish all sales places would emulate how they do business! We can't wait to get on the road!Attachment 6539
Congratulations, MHSRV is a great place! Many owners here on the forum have purchased from MSHRV and have had a great experience, hope everything goes well for you!!!
Old 08-27-2017, 03:34 AM   #355

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you guys are as happy as my wife have been.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:22 AM   #356

State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
I was wondering about balancing the tires on my new Challenger. The balance job on my car just made a huge difference, but I have not seen anything about balancing coach tires. Has anybody done this, and is it worth trying for a ride improvement?

On my test drive, my friend commented that she could not find a comfortable place to sit (salesman was in copilot seat) and was feeling carsick after a few minutes.... I had safe t steer installed as a safety precaution since then.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #357

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post
I was wondering about balancing the tires on my new Challenger. The balance job on my car just made a huge difference, but I have not seen anything about balancing coach tires. Has anybody done this, and is it worth trying for a ride improvement?

On my test drive, my friend commented that she could not find a comfortable place to sit (salesman was in copilot seat) and was feeling carsick after a few minutes.... I had safe t steer installed as a safety precaution since then.
If my wife isn't in the passenger seat she usually sits at the dinette with the shade open so she can look out, she likes it there.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM   #358

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
To confirm that the tires/wheels are balanced, check for weights. If weights are missing, then time to check balance. I doubt that having already balanced wheels re-balanced would make any noticeable difference. These Ford chassis' have many other suspension/ride deficiencies that you can improve with add on products. I recently had my pick up Road Force balanced and made a huge difference. Road Force balancing is pricey and not even sure if available for motorhome wheels/tires.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #359
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD
If my wife isn't in the passenger seat she usually sits at the dinette with the shade open so she can look out, she likes it there.
Seeing the horizon is a huge "cure" for motion sickness. If the passenger sits inside and looks around the coach without glancing out a window now and then they will be more prone to motion sickness.

On a test drive where your friend was mostly looking around inside the coach (and turning her head left/right a lot) is a recipe for motion sickness. If she had spent 30 seconds or so simply looking out a window at the horizon she would have been much better.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:22 PM   #360

Model: Venetian B42
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post

Was the discomfort from motion sickness only or was it that the seating is not comfortable. My wife complains about the seating all the time. This coach is great with lots of positives. I think they went a little cheap on the quality of seating. I am considering new captains chairs up front and the couch as well. I can't be sure what the reason is but at about an hour I can really start to feel the lack of support. I have put over 13K miles on my 37TB in less than 10 months. Creative use of memory foam pillows has helped but if I want to keep this unit long term I will make some improvements. Any thought from the group on Captains chairs?