Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Motorhome Stability

I have been searching around the forums here for an answer to my question but have been coming up short and/or not finding what I am specifically looking for so here we go....

I have a 2009 Four Winds Hurricane 31D (GVWR = 18000 and GCWR = 26000).

There are no leveling or stabilizing jacks on the coach. I am currently using wheel levelers/blocks to drive up on when I find we are camped in a unlevel spot.

My question is related to stabilizing the coach to reduce movement of the coach while walking around inside. What is the best, reasonable priced i.e. cheapest, way to reduce this movement?

I looked at different basic jack stand options, but I get confused over weight restrictions, etc.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
Posts: 230
THOR #6831
jacks

stabilizing and raising the coach off the ground are 2 different issues.

if driving up on blocks to level is ok and you want to stop the rocking any cheap 1 ton or above jack will do, it will not have much load on it as it is only stopping the rocking,

if you want to use it to level the coach then a higher weight rated jack will be needed, take the weight of the coach and double it then divide by 4 and you have the min rating needed with safety factor,

now for leveling the more important issue is sway ( rocking) if the jack get very extended it become more unstable. so for safety you don't want to run a jack at full extension as it could fail or get stuck.

so which way do you want to go????
__________________

__________________
captmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,232
THOR #5821
We went from a very large DP, equipped with an auto-level jack system. The Gemini had none, didn't realize how much I would miss that. I recently bit the bullet and had and HWH hydraulic leveling system and stabilizing jacks installed. What a difference!!! I now know better to ever buy any RV that is not equipped with leveling/stabilizing jacks, or plan to add them.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
jpmihalk's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,132
THOR #3761
There are aftermarket leveling jacks that are available but are not cheap. They range from automated leveling systems to manual systems where you need your own levels. Anything you do purchase will need to be attached to the frame to stabilize the RV, and even then you will still have SOME rocking going on.
__________________
John
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with pups Piper and Annabelle
2013 Ford Fiesta toad
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
Posts: 1,022
THOR #1020
The motion is coming from your RV sitting on the suspension - tires, axle and springs. To stabilize you must get the weight of your RV up and off the springs/suspension. Not in total but enough to reduce the travel on the springs. Most straight forward way is jpmihalk stated above.
__________________
US Army Retired - Loving The Road Trip
Challenger 37TB
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,232
THOR #5821
Not all leveling jacks are stabilizers too. HWH accomplishes that, by increasing the hydraulic pressure at each jack head, once the MH is level.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,929
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Not all leveling jacks are stabilizers too. HWH accomplishes that, by increasing the hydraulic pressure at each jack head, once the MH is level.
I'd like to learn more about this difference you refer to. Can you post a link to the HWH leveling jacks that have this stabilizing feature?
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
stabilizing and raising the coach off the ground are 2 different issues.

if driving up on blocks to level is ok and you want to stop the rocking any cheap 1 ton or above jack will do, it will not have much load on it as it is only stopping the rocking,

if you want to use it to level the coach then a higher weight rated jack will be needed, take the weight of the coach and double it then divide by 4 and you have the min rating needed with safety factor,

now for leveling the more important issue is sway ( rocking) if the jack get very extended it become more unstable. so for safety you don't want to run a jack at full extension as it could fail or get stuck.

so which way do you want to go????
All I am looking to do is to reduce/stop the motion while walking inside... not level it as well. I do just fine leveling where we go with driving up on the wheel levelers/blocks.

Where is the best place to locate the 1-Ton jacks at? I assume somewhere along the frame on all four corners?

Thanks you
__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,125
THOR #1150
You can get Scissor jacks that handle 7500 lbs per jack:
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jpmihalk's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,132
THOR #3761
Yes, along the frame outside of the wheels would be best.
__________________
John
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with pups Piper and Annabelle
2013 Ford Fiesta toad
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
We went from a very large DP, equipped with an auto-level jack system. The Gemini had none, didn't realize how much I would miss that. I recently bit the bullet and had and HWH hydraulic leveling system and stabilizing jacks installed. What a difference!!! I now know better to ever buy any RV that is not equipped with leveling/stabilizing jacks, or plan to add them.
I looked into them, but I have no plans to get into that kind of expense for this coach. When we purchase our next one, we will definitely choose one with the auto leveling/stabilizing system!

Right now, just looking to reduce the motion while walking inside, nothing more.
__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
lazinskm's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
Posts: 401
THOR #5725
I don't think this is exactly what he is looking for, but I didn't know if anyone had experience w/ this stabilizer bar. I am just looking to stop a little sway in back where we sleep and the kiddos move at night- the rest of it doesn't bother me....
Universal RV Stabilizer - Valterra 020106 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
__________________
lazinskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
I don't think this is exactly what he is looking for, but I didn't know if anyone had experience w/ this stabilizer bar. I am just looking to stop a little sway in back where we sleep and the kiddos move at night- the rest of it doesn't bother me....
Universal RV Stabilizer - Valterra 020106 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
I did see those myself while digging around for a solution. I haven't spoken with anyone down at Camping World yet about them, but it seems they would more of a fit for a much lighter/smaller type of camper. The biggest thing that was throwing me off when looking around was weight limits of the different jacks...
__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You can get Scissor jacks that handle 7500 lbs per jack:
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
Thank you. The whole jack weight limit vs the RV weight was confusing me initially when I was looking at these, but it make sense as I am just stabilizing and not lifting.
__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Yes, along the frame outside of the wheels would be best.
Thank you!
__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'd like to learn more about this difference you refer to. Can you post a link to the HWH leveling jacks that have this stabilizing feature?
https://www.hwhcorp.com/

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml56900_lesy_aftermarket.html

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml44100m5f5.html
__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,164
THOR #8860
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,232
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'd like to learn more about this difference you refer to. Can you post a link to the HWH leveling jacks that have this stabilizing feature?
Installing dealer pointed this out as an advantage over other brands, and HWH in a phone conversation confirmed. I did see something in writing, somewhere, of course can't find it just now. Will keep looking.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
erice1098's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
Posts: 26
THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Har de har har... such a comedian!
__________________
erice1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,232
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by erice1098 View Post
I looked into them, but I have no plans to get into that kind of expense for this coach. When we purchase our next one, we will definitely choose one with the auto leveling/stabilizing system!

Right now, just looking to reduce the motion while walking inside, nothing more.
They do not give them away, and you are correct the expense is considerable. We essentially bought a floor plan and chassis, that was pretty vanilla, and feature free, which kept the purchase cost, in relative terms low. I bought with the intent of having accessories and equipment added after we used it a bit, and knew what I wanted added. Between the 11K in adds I forced the dealer to do when we bought, and the 10K I did, its a very different coach than the one we bought. I have had a good time customizing this one the way we want it for our use, and would probably buy the same way again, if we ever buy another RV, though we are getting older, and both my wife and I are pretty sure this will be the last one, but who knows!!!!!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×