Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 12:40 AM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
satellite ready

Is a 2016 axis satellite ready?

Old 06-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Virginia
THOR #4205
To my knowledge no. Cable ready, but not satellite ready. To use satellite you would have to bypass the cable/tv switch in the cabinet over the sink or run a new line from outside the coach to the inside where the satellite box would be located.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thor seems to think it is. On the features page: (here: https://thormotorcoach.com/axis/features/)
Quote:
HD/DSS Satellite Ready
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Virginia
THOR #4205
Interesting. Wondering if something has changed on the coach or whether the tailgater I've used requiring 12v power to the dish is the difference.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept1
Interesting. Wondering if something has changed on the coach or whether the tailgater I've used requiring 12v power to the dish is the difference.
Well something changed: The brochure I have for 2015 model year Axis/Vegas only says "Cable Ready"--no satellite.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #4179
Satellite Ready or Not Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Is a 2016 axis satellite ready?
After spending several hours today trying to get my new portable satellite setup (I had to remove my TV, several wall panels and water heater in order to gain access to several coaxial splitters, behind the walls, etc.), it dawned on me that the easiest and simplist way of confirming if your RV is satellite ready is to remove the four screws on the cable connector on the outside and gently pull and expose the cable to see if it is RG-6 cable which is satellite compatible. I've read a few posts where some owner's manuals say their RV is satellite ready, yet other owners with same model RV read something different in their manual.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
So, is yours RG-6? Next question, what does RG-6 look like? Camping right now with limited access, shaky WiFi, no TV, two radio stations with Direct TV (but we have no tuner). Awwwww, the relaxing sounds of silence...and with the sounds of a trout stream some 20 feet off the rear bumper.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

THOR #3471
Direct tv

I have direct tv hd swim in my house. I called direct tv and they are coming out and installing swim dish on tripod. I will get back to forum on how they do it. That should answer a lot of questions.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

THOR #3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Camping right now with limited access, shaky WiFi, no TV, two radio stations with Direct TV (but we have no tuner). Awwwww, the relaxing sounds of silence...and with the sounds of a trout stream some 20 feet off the rear bumper.

And the problem is?! Sounds perfect.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #4179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
So, is yours RG-6? Next question, what does RG-6 look like? Camping right now with limited access, shaky WiFi, no TV, two radio stations with Direct TV (but we have no tuner). Awwwww, the relaxing sounds of silence...and with the sounds of a trout stream some 20 feet off the rear bumper.
Although my cable from the outside cable connector is RG-6, which is satellite compatible, after digging into my walls behind the main TV I discovered two, three way splitters. This configuration would allow all three TVs to receive "cable tv" but not satellite tv. The problem is that the RG-6 cable has to have a direct line between the satellite dish and the receiver so in my case the splitters interrupted that direct path and the dish was unable to receive the necessary power provided by the receiver to locate and track satellites.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #11

THOR #3471
They just have to be swim splitters. Call your cable co.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #12

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Guys,

Right now you are over my head, but this is something I will be addressing this year. So i went on line about SWM Splitters and found this site. It is a PDF File but I am having problems getting it to copy here.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1466967279

[PDF]Guide for Using DIRECTV SWM Technology with ... - Solid Signal

Doc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SWM840.pdf (838.5 KB, 159 views)

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote