Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Suspension upgrades

There's prolly a thread on this somewhere I just haven't found it so I'll start a new. Other than the doing the CHF on the F53 chassis what suspension up grades have most of you done? Steering stabilizer? Sumo springs? Upgraded sway bar? I haven't even had this coach on the road other than the 35 miles driven home from the dealer and everybody is telling me do this or do that. I am thinking the steering stabilizer should be first as it is will assist if you get a blow out. Thoughts please.
Tx Mark

Old 03-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
That’s exactly what I’ve done. Safe-T-Plus, CHF, roadmaster rear sway bar, and Sumo springs. It has made a WORLD of difference in the handling. The only thing I could think of to add would be rear track bar, and maybe shocks - but honestly, I don’t think I need it. My ACE 30.2 handles so much better with these upgrades.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
My 32 ft class A seems good from stock but I’ve done an alignment, Roadmaster steering stabilizer and done some work on the rear sway bar. The Roadmaster is to help with emergencies and the alignment was just common sense. The sway bar work is because one of the factory mounting brackets broke leaving the sway bar adrift. Instead of just replacing the Ford part I did the Roadmaster upgrade with polyurethane bushings and a more stout bracket. I did the rear CHF while I had it all apart just because everyone seems to think it’s worthwhile. If I ever do the front CHF I’ll probably purchase longer links to better retain the factory geometry and polyurethane bushings because, again, why not while I’m there. But I’m in no hurry to do anything more.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
That’s exactly what I’ve done. Safe-T-Plus, CHF, roadmaster rear sway bar, and Sumo springs. It has made a WORLD of difference in the handling. The only thing I could think of to add would be rear track bar, and maybe shocks - but honestly, I don’t think I need it. My ACE 30.2 handles so much better with these upgrades.

I did all of the above and a rear track and roadmaster front sway bar. Just got back from Galveston. We were planning on taking beltway 8 around the city (we have never come this way before). The entrance off of 288 on to beltway 8 was closed in both directions. We were in a ton of construction and had to drive through the city of Houston. We are glad we made all the upgrades!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I did sumo springs and steering stabilizer and centramic wheel balancers along with the sway bars.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Judging from responses I think I'm on the right track. I was thinking CHF 1st (free can do myself as I've had some experience wrenching for a Chrysler Garage in my youth) Alignment 2nd as it makes sense to be sure the stabilizer is not fighting an out of line condition then 3 add stabilizer and see how that effects it before shelling out for sumo springs. Hadn't thought of a track bar but as I intend to haul a Jeep behind that may be an option as well.
TX for the input
Mark
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
There's prolly a thread on this somewhere I just haven't found it so I'll start a new. Other than the doing the CHF on the F53 chassis what suspension up grades have most of you done? Steering stabilizer? Sumo springs? Upgraded sway bar? I haven't even had this coach on the road other than the 35 miles driven home from the dealer and everybody is telling me do this or do that. I am thinking the steering stabilizer should be first as it is will assist if you get a blow out. Thoughts please.
Tx Mark
1. Alignment
2. CHF front and rear
3 Safe t plus Helps take the play out of the wheel. Personally I dont think it will do anything helpful in a blow out
4. Rear trac bar

Rear trac bar was the best for me. Stopped the push from semi's and tail wag from the jeep 2 finger driving if I want now and no fatigue

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #8

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My 32 ft class A seems good from stock but I’ve done an alignment, Roadmaster steering stabilizer and done some work on the rear sway bar. The Roadmaster is to help with emergencies and the alignment was just common sense. The sway bar work is because one of the factory mounting brackets broke leaving the sway bar adrift. Instead of just replacing the Ford part I did the Roadmaster upgrade with polyurethane bushings and a more stout bracket. I did the rear CHF while I had it all apart just because everyone seems to think it’s worthwhile. If I ever do the front CHF I’ll probably purchase longer links to better retain the factory geometry and polyurethane bushings because, again, why not while I’m there. But I’m in no hurry to do anything more.

Pete my understanding is Ford switched to poly bushings in 2014 or 2015. Ill guess the ones you got were blue. Seems all after market one are. Ford uses black polys.

If you have a welder friend you can make a bracket instead of buying extension links. I did it and like the factory geometry better. THis applies to the front only.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #9

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I did all of the above and a rear track and roadmaster front sway bar. Just got back from Galveston. We were planning on taking beltway 8 around the city (we have never come this way before). The entrance off of 288 on to beltway 8 was closed in both directions. We were in a ton of construction and had to drive through the city of Houston. We are glad we made all the upgrades!!!
With all those upgrades you need to put them to use and drive to Amarillo

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #10

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
With all those upgrades you need to put them to use and drive to Amarillo

Jerry

It took us two hours to get home. I asked my wife if she was up for a 12 hour drive. Her response I can’t really put on this forum but let’s just say it was “no”.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Pete my understanding is Ford switched to poly bushings in 2014 or 2015. Ill guess the ones you got were blue. Seems all after market one are. Ford uses black polys.

If you have a welder friend you can make a bracket instead of buying extension links. I did it and like the factory geometry better. THis applies to the front only.

Jerry

Cool! Thanks Jerry. I’ll check my front bushings soonest. The ones I put on the rear are blue. Buying longer links for the front is surprisingly expensive ($110) and that has held me back (along with a general lack of motivation and a good measure of sloth). But I’ve got an oil change coming up before a long trip and I might do this while I’m under there. It certainly gets universally high ratings on this and other forums. Cheers.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:08 AM   #12

THOR #3156
Heres the plates i made to bring the sway bars back to stock angle

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170224_104517.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	16340Click image for larger version

Name:	20170224_104200.jpeg
Views:	392
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	16341
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Florida
THOR #6605
First first thing I did was a safe-t-plus now we just ordered my Sumo Springs Im going to put them on this week lastly in the next couple of months I'll be putting in the upgrade sway bars (Roadmaster) and that should do it. I noticed a monster change in drivability with the safe T Plus.
good luck keep us posted
Old 03-31-2019, 08:13 PM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Well... just wrapped up the suspension upgrades for my 2018 Outlaw 29H. As everyone has attested to, it is a night and day difference!!!!

Just took her for a little 40 mile test drive on some back roads and interstate (good day for it.... windy.... low 30's and snow flurries after 60 yesterday.... )

Instead of the white knuckle driving experience I have dealt with the first 2000 miles, it handles almost as well as our Chevy Pick-Up with the lifted Southern Comfort package.

Gusts of wind were not hard to deal with any more..... she tracked in the lane much easier.... passing traffic didn't push her around.... she was much more nimble on the back roads... and she does not feel top heavy anymore. She is even a little quieter when hitting bumps.

Here was what I added.....

- Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
- Roadmaster RSSC Steering Stabilizer
- Front SumoSprings (500lbs)
- Rear SumoSprongs (1500lbs)

Need to dial in the tire pressure once temps return to normal and I may get it alinged but I couldn't be any happier!

Was going to go with a set of Bilstein Shocks but I think I will wait a few thousand miles until the stock shocks start to give up and then I'll have them changed out.

I did all the work myself over parts of three days. Not too bad at all.... especially since the coach was still relatively new and not very rusty underneath.

If anyone has not done these changes, I would do them right away. Well worth the money to make it a much more safer vehicle to drive in all conditions.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
My 2017 ACE was plain scary to drive when we first got it. Wind or passing trucks would push us all over the place and freeway expansion joints made the whole rig porpoise to the edge of losing control.

Since then we've
- Added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabiliszer
- Changed the OEM Bilstein shocks to Koni FSD's
- Installed a SuperSteer rear track bar
- Done the CHF front and rear

Its a different coach. Passing trucks don't push me around and wind gusts are far less of a problem. The coach still bounces a bit over expansion joints and such, but its a fraction of what it was. Only issue I still have is on windey two lane roads we lean a lot and I end up taking the curves at 5-10 MPH below what the squiggly yellow signs say.

I'm in the process of trying to decide between Sumo Springs or new RoadMaster sway bars. I'm leaning (pun intended) towards the Sumos and I am trying to locate a local shop.

I've contacted one that I've seen cited as doing Sumo Springs and am having trouble getting them to respond. The owner did call me back and apologized for the mix up. However she didn't seem to know much about Sumo Springs and was pushing me towards new leaf springs. She was going to research and call me back. But I haven't gotten that call back yet.

If I don't hear from them I'll have to move on. Hopefully the Ford Medium Duty Truck center here in Denver might be able to it. I do have to go in for some routine maintenance. Last place I want to go is the big RV dealers in town, one of which is the no service Camping World. The guy who has his 5th wheel parked next to me in storage says he went to LazyDays for service and they left his 5th wheel power on for a month and destroyed his batteries and then denied responsibility. He did say it gave him an excuse for him to get a set of Battle Born lithium batteries.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sumo Springs...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 AM   #17

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Just left my 2019 Thor Windsport 34J at dealer to install front and rear Sumosprings...thanks for sharing info!
Old 04-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #18

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Don’t think so

I for the most part think these upgrades are a complete waist of money. Nothing and I repeat nothing will compensate for all of those little things things your coach wants to do like experience behind the wheel. 1,000 miles or so and you’ll be compensating for things just like you do in your car and you won’t even think about it.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #19

THOR #14304
Haven't driven our new rig much, maybe 300 miles so far. Our first class a so didn't know what to expect. Initially very disappointed with the handling, sawing our way trying to keep straight, all the time feeling somewhat unsure of the stability. Installed the blue Safe-T-Plus and the heavy duty Roadmaster rear sway bar. Better, but still not great, but we don't intend to try anything else. Guessing the big $$ units are much different, but out of my league. So, we're retired, no great rush to get anywhere, we'll stay max 60mph on the interstates and reduce the stress! 2019 Thor Windsport 33x.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #20

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanh1 View Post
Haven't driven our new rig much, maybe 300 miles so far. Our first class a so didn't know what to expect. Initially very disappointed with the handling, sawing our way trying to keep straight, all the time feeling somewhat unsure of the stability. Installed the blue Safe-T-Plus and the heavy duty Roadmaster rear sway bar. Better, but still not great, but we don't intend to try anything else. Guessing the big $$ units are much different, but out of my league. So, we're retired, no great rush to get anywhere, we'll stay max 60mph on the interstates and reduce the stress! 2019 Thor Windsport 33x.

Welcome to the Thor family. You and your wife will enjoy having a MH.