Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: North Carolina
THOR #3325
AGS Help

Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation on the AGS for 2017 Tuscany? I am dry camping and want to use the AGS. I thought I had the settings correct but the generator just runs and runs.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
You might want to give us a little more info to help. Can I assume you have a Magnum suite of products. If Magnum, did the Gen start automatically and it will not shut off automatically? Did you manually start the Gen and are you waiting for it to shut off based on the run time setting. What does the status say? Do you have the setting for AG Mode to "Other" and not "RV"? Do you have Quiet time hours set?
If Magnum, all their manuals are available at their Web site.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #3

THOR #3325
Thanks for the reply - Yes it is a Magnum - Hopefully these photos will help -

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	7653

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	7654

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	7655

I will also try and find the manual

Again, thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 01:48 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: California
THOR #8959
Limits are factory set, you photo shows it "enabled" .when your batteries get low, it will start, if it gets too hot inside , it will start. mine was set at the factory and I have not had to adjust them at all. You can however change the setting however they are pretty close from the factory. Also, it will reset each time you manually start the generator or plug in to off...
Old 11-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

THOR #9081
Very interesting the Firefly interface...Not sure whose manual you would have to look at to troubleshoot. I wonder if Firefly or someone else documented to the magnum hardware settings. I can see your dilema of no manuals.

I find the "stop at" setting interesting. Would need a definition of this setting. The reason is, when your inverter/charger starts it is in bulk and then goes to absorption. These voltages are over 14 volts. If you set the absorption time to two hours, that would mean the AGS should shut off the generator. If the bulk and absorption time is less than 25 minutes the charger would go to float. In float mode the charger would be putting out a voltage in a 13 volt range thus would never meet the shut off setting for the AGS as shown. Normally absorption can be set as completed based on, amps or actual Battery SOC or based on a user set time. With the firefly interface to the magnum hardware how are these other parameters set?

So without having used the firefly interface, sorry I can not really help you.
Hopefully others with Firefly can.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #6

THOR #3325
Thank you Peterrr - I am going to reduce the Stop at 14V and see what happens unless the dealer can shed some light on it. I only see the batteries run at ~13.7v which would make your comment about it never getting to 14 the reason the generator never stops.

So I will set to run from 12 to 13.5.

Again, thanks for the insight.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think the 'stop volts' question is correct... I doubt you would ever see over 14 volts during the recharging process... set it to 12.6 and see what happens(12.6 is about the 'Full Charge' of the batteries). If the generator shuts down on it's own, then you'll know this new setting is more appropriate, and then you can 'adjust' it up or down to suit you.

also, you can change the 'time at stop' to 5mins, instead, shutting down the generator much quicker once it reaches this 12.6 voltage.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #8

State: Tennessee
THOR #9960
We are having the exact opposite problem in our Aria. The AGS will not start the generator. We woke up yesterday with ALL batteries dead. Any suggestions on what we may be doing wrong?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #9

THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrasmom View Post
We are having the exact opposite problem in our Aria. The AGS will not start the generator. We woke up yesterday with ALL batteries dead. Any suggestions on what we may be doing wrong?
If you have quiet times set, quiet times are normally overnight so others around you will not hear your generator run while they sleep. If your batteries were dead in the morning, the generator will not start because of voltage on your house batteries. What kind of draw from the house batteries occurred over night? Did you run your furnace? Do you have an error/status message?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #10

State: Tennessee
THOR #9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
If you have quiet times set, quiet times are normally overnight so others around you will not hear your generator run while they sleep. If your batteries were dead in the morning, the generator will not start because of voltage on your house batteries. What kind of draw from the house batteries occurred over night? Did you run your furnace? Do you have an error/status message?
We do not have quiet times set but we're running the inverter for the fridge. The AGS was set to start the generator if the chassis or house batteries got below 12V. In playing with it today, I have noticed that I cannot start the generator from the inside unless the AGS is enabled and once the gen is started the AGS is disabled.....this leads me to believe I am only getting one start from the AGS.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #11

THOR #3325
In following up to my original post this week end I tried a number of things mentioned. No luck. Interesting the as soon as I enabled the AGS the generator started...

Placed one call to Service Center. Calling Thor direct this morning.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Some info from our AGS time

Got to lower your stop voltage. Set at 14 volts, it is never gonna stop. Batteries will be fully charged at at 12.9 volts. If you look at the Onan charges, if batteries are at 50% discharge (about 11.7 volts) it will take at minimum 3 hours for the batteries to come back up to full charge. We don't have the nice digital screen. To set ours, I lay on back, flashlight in hand and set up with turn screws.

The attached manual is for our AGS but I believe the setup parameters should be very similar.

Hope it helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magnum AGS Manual.pdf (1.04 MB, 78 views)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Got to lower your stop voltage. Set at 14 volts, it is never gonna stop. Batteries will be fully charged at at 12.9 volts. If you look at the Onan charges, if batteries are at 50% discharge (about 11.7 volts) it will take at minimum 3 hours for the batteries to come back up to full charge. We don't have the nice digital screen. To set ours, I lay on back, flashlight in hand and set up with turn screws.

The attached manual is for our AGS but I believe the setup parameters should be very similar.

Hope it helps
Looking at our AGS, the voltages for the auto run feature are from 10-12V. Ours also uses the turn screws like the manual that you provided a link to.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #14

THOR #1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Looking at our AGS, the voltages for the auto run feature are from 10-12V. Ours also uses the turn screws like the manual that you provided a link to.
Yep. When it drops below the voltagd number gennie will start and run. I set ours up to run for 3 hours after it started at 11.8 volts. Works fairly well except when you forget to turn the AGS switch off and the gennie starts at 2:00 AM. Quiet time is 11-7. Oops. Dry camp like this for about 10 weeks per year.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:23 AM   #15

THOR #3325
Talked to Thor this morning and got the FireFly manual from them. Seems like I have the right idea, but with the feedback on this thread I might be trying to charge them to high. Going to play around this weekend and see.

My starting points:

Start at 11.9 V
Stop at 12.5 V

I'll narrow the gap/increase the gap and post what happens.

To quote Thor - if that does not work, bring it in as it might be a wiring issue.

The comments are helpful - thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #16

THOR #1020
Super LDRider! I think you're moving in the right direction. I think the advise Thor offered may be a bit of hedge. If you're getting signals from your charging system to the AGS, odds are you just gotta set the parameters correct.