Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Which chemical is best for a toilet is kinda like asking which oil is best for your engine, everyone has their own preference. As Ed said the black tank is for holding waste until it can be dumped. If you have an odor problem then chemicals may help, but what you really need is good air circulation. Most tank vents on the roof are very restrictive and don't allow for good airflow. I know it's "something else to buy" but a 360 roof vent gives the airflow your tank needs and keeps the odors above the roof where they belong.

Probably under your bathroom sink, in most coaches, is an air admittance valve screwed in to the drain. If the valve is not screwed in tight it will let in odor. If the valve is bad you can get a replacement at most hardware stores, they're a common size.

Putting plenty of water in the tank after dumping ensures solids won't stick to the bottom and create the dreaded "brown pyramid".

If you still continue to have odors after using chemicals, putting in plenty of water, and adding a 360 vent cover, then you probably need to quit eating XL chili cheese burritos with extra hot sauce!!!
the 360 vents work great ordered them after Super D mention them very easy for me to install took about 30 minutes

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
the 360 vents work great ordered them after Super D mention them very easy for me to install took about 30 minutes
Old 08-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
FWIW, this is what I do.

Long ago I bought some chemicals for the black tank.
I installed a Tornado in the tank.
The bathroom sink is plumbed into the black tank.

I put 3 gallons of water into the tank after I dump the tank, no chemicals.
When I deposit some #2, I flush with about a half gallon of water.
When dry camping, DW will sometimes dump kitchen liquid waste in the toilet.
When it is time to dump I will dump the tank, add some water and dump again.
Every few dumps I use the Tornado to flush the tank.
I still have the chemicals I bought years ago.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #24

THOR #8725
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
FWIW, this is what I do.

Long ago I bought some chemicals for the black tank.
I installed a Tornado in the tank.
The bathroom sink is plumbed into the black tank.

I put 3 gallons of water into the tank after I dump the tank, no chemicals.
When I deposit some #2, I flush with about a half gallon of water.
When dry camping, DW will sometimes dump kitchen liquid waste in the toilet.
When it is time to dump I will dump the tank, add some water and dump again.
Every few dumps I use the Tornado to flush the tank.
I still have the chemicals I bought years ago.

I have always used 1 cup of Calgon water softener and1 cup borax. The Calgon helps keep the sensors clean.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I installed a Tornado last year, since then we dump every time we are leaving a CG. Before opening the Black Tank I turn on the Tornado, have the DW watch the guage until after it goes up one light from what it said then I open the Black Tank (keeping the Tornado running), once "the flow" out is minimal I close the Black Tank (keeping the Tornado running), the wife gives it two good squirts of Dawn Blue in the toliet and we let it run until the guage goes up two lights from whatever it said when I closed the Black Tank, then open the Black Tank and let it flow, once "the flow" is minimal repeat with two more squirts of Dawn Blue in the toliet, wait for two more lights to come on then open and drain both Gray and Black until water flow is minimal (normally lots of bubbles and clearish water). Close all valves, add Camco RV Toilet treatment drop-in and a Walex ElemOnate Grey water Deordorizer in the sink. After a minute turn off and disconnect water line to Tornado.
While all the above is going on we are tearing down the site, awnings in, chairs put up, matting put up, etc and getting ready to move out.
So far, no odors and no problems with the "brown pyrmaid".

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #26

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I have always used the blue Tetford black tank additive sold at Walmarts. I also use tons of water when flushing and only dump black about every 5 or 6 days.

Heard numerous folks over the years claim that any paper which claims to be safe for septic tanks can be used in an RV system. Also known some people that have had some pretty nasty repairs to deal with because of that septic safe paper got built up and never fully dissolved. Scott's RV butt wipe has always serviced us well and we have avoided black tank smells and issues.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:02 AM   #27

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Hi to all. I thought I would ask the community what holding tank chemicals work best in the black water tank. There are so many different choices, solid, liquid etc. when we are camping with full hookups, especially with company visiting, we wind up dumping the tank almost daily. I've noticed that there isn't much time for paper and solids to break down, which may cause clogged sensors. Is there a chemical treatment that works best for this scenario vs another?

We use 20 Mule Team Borax in our black and grey tanks. 1/4 cup in each with a few gallons of water after flushing. Sometimes use 1/2 cup in each. Works well for us.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:29 AM   #28

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I installed a Tornado last year, since then we dump every time we are leaving a CG. Before opening the Black Tank I turn on the Tornado, have the DW watch the guage until after it goes up one light from what it said then I open the Black Tank (keeping the Tornado running), once "the flow" out is minimal I close the Black Tank (keeping the Tornado running), the wife gives it two good squirts of Dawn Blue in the toliet and we let it run until the guage goes up two lights from whatever it said when I closed the Black Tank, then open the Black Tank and let it flow, once "the flow" is minimal repeat with two more squirts of Dawn Blue in the toliet, wait for two more lights to come on then open and drain both Gray and Black until water flow is minimal (normally lots of bubbles and clearish water). Close all valves, add Camco RV Toilet treatment drop-in and a Walex ElemOnate Grey water Deordorizer in the sink. After a minute turn off and disconnect water line to Tornado.
While all the above is going on we are tearing down the site, awnings in, chairs put up, matting put up, etc and getting ready to move out.
So far, no odors and no problems with the "brown pyrmaid".

Doc
Your procedure is great, counting on your sensors is VERY risky. Next time you do it time how long it takes to move 1-2 lights & then you can do it without watching them, I haven't looked at my sensors in probably 4 years , don't trust them.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #29

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildel View Post
We have used many different ones over the years but our favorite for the past few years is "Happy Camper". It does not have a chemical smell, seems to largely eliminate the smells you don't want and in every way seems to work very well. It is a powder so it needs to be mixed for use; which may be a down side for some people. We typically get it via Amazon.
Really like Happy Camper too.+ We get it at the Quartzsite RV show at the booth that's there every year. Good prices.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #30

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Danny,
Great idea. I'll get a time for the lights to change and free up the DW from monitor duty.
Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #31

State: Washington
THOR #1228
Best holding tank chemicals

I have always used the formaldehyde based tank chemicals. I also add water softener and laundry detergent. I have run into many people who say "we don't use chemicals and have no problem with smells." Unfortunately due to the design of RVs the smell will be definitely noticed by their neighbors. The smell just vents out the roof. The holding tanks just hold waste. If you don't add any chemicals to stop the decomposition process it will stink. It is very annoying to walk around a crowded RV park and smell the stench of other people's sewage because they were not adding tank chemicals. Ever wonder why port-a-potties use formaldehyde chemical deodorant ? It isn't because the company has excess money its because they will stink of they don't. Please use some proper holding tank chemicals! Your neighbors will thank you!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #32

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msturtz View Post
I have always used the formaldehyde based tank chemicals. I also add water softener and laundry detergent. I have run into many people who say "we don't use chemicals and have no problem with smells." Unfortunately due to the design of RVs the smell will be definitely noticed by their neighbors. The smell just vents out the roof. The holding tanks just hold waste. If you don't add any chemicals to stop the decomposition process it will stink. It is very annoying to walk around a crowded RV park and smell the stench of other people's sewage because they were not adding tank chemicals. Ever wonder why port-a-potties use formaldehyde chemical deodorant ? It isn't because the company has excess money its because they will stink of they don't. Please use some proper holding tank chemicals! Your neighbors will thank you!
Very well said! But in reality probably 75% of RVers don't even know that there black tank is vented up through the roof. If everyone followed your advise there would certainly be less black tank issues and more happy neighbors.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #33

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Thank you for recommending chemicals, but a lot parks have signs posted to NOT use chemicals with formaldehyde, but there are others that also work well.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #34

State: Washington
THOR #1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Thank you for recommending chemicals, but a lot parks have signs posted to NOT use chemicals with formaldehyde, but there are others that also work well.
I have never seen any park with such a sign but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. That said some type of holding tank chemical is absolutely required. Airplanes, ships, portable toilets, basically everything with a holding tank uses some sort of chemical in the tank. I even put some into my grey tank if I intend on having no place to dump for a while.