Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: Washington
Posts: 10
THOR #4845
A/C Vents

We have a 2016 Siesta. The coach has 2 vents over the bed, 2 over the cab over bunk and the large central vent. The 2 front and rear vents have nominal output on the passenger side and nearly no output on the drivers side. Anyone had this problem and a fix? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,598
THOR #5196
This is a common problem, low flow thru the ceiling vents. Here is a picture of a simple mod to increase your airflow, the vent is available on Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2045.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	5777
__________________

__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: Washington
Posts: 10
THOR #4845
Thanks
__________________
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 787
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
We have a 2016 Siesta. The coach has 2 vents over the bed, 2 over the cab over bunk and the large central vent. The 2 front and rear vents have nominal output on the passenger side and nearly no output on the drivers side. Anyone had this problem and a fix? Thanks.
We had the same problem with the in celling vents in our VEGAS. The dealer "fixed" then happened again in three weeks after some short trips.

If you remove the cover over the AC unit on the ceiling you will see a diverter that allows air to the passenger and driver side ceiling vents. Our diverter had shifted to cut off the passenger side vents. Repositioning the diverter and using duct tape and some screws has kept it in place for almost a year.
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ron1Z's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Florida
Posts: 287
THOR #8069
That vent that you put in is it on the return side or the supply?
__________________
Ron1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,598
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
That vent that you put in is it on the return side or the supply?
It goes on the output/exhaust side which is usually at the rear of the unit, you want to give the cool air a direct path in to the coach.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Arizona
Posts: 27
THOR #8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
This is a common problem, low flow thru the ceiling vents. Here is a picture of a simple mod to increase your airflow, the vent is available on Amazon.

Attachment 5777
SuperD, I took your lead on this...what a difference it made! I also installed a second 13.5k A/C in place of the bedroom vent. It took no time at all and the entire installation cost less than $650.
__________________
XKANSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,598
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKANSAN View Post
SuperD, I took your lead on this...what a difference it made! I also installed a second 13.5k A/C in place of the bedroom vent. It took no time at all and the entire installation cost less than $650.
Glad that helped you, and with a second AC you should be able to put frost on the windows!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:45 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 12
THOR #6320
I had 4 vents in the same line not putting out air...we found that the vents are not the same duct work as in your house. Apparently the foam is channeled into the vents or something like that and something fell into the channel and blocked the vents. This happened at the factory.
__________________
Mromeojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:43 AM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Arkansas
Posts: 88
THOR #6634
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Glad that helped you, and with a second AC you should be able to put frost on the windows!


Fellows, my ace 29.4 is 30 amp. Would it pull two ac's like you're describing?
__________________
Moondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,598
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
Fellows, my ace 29.4 is 30 amp. Would it pull two ac's like you're describing?
Unfortunately no. You will have to run a separate circuit and plug for a second AC.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,690
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
It goes on the output/exhaust side which is usually at the rear of the unit, you want to give the cool air a direct path in to the coach.
It looks like that modification turns a ducted A/C into more of a non-ducted unit by dumping more of the air at the unit.

Should work great for added cooling near the A/C, but doesn't that come at the expense of less cooling at the ends of the motorhome where the ducted vents get less air?

It seems that if ducts are in "good" condition, meaning no blockage or holes in attic, that the total air conditioning capacity won't be affected significantly. That's not to say we may not want most cooling in one area, but it's hard to see how that can add much to "total" cooling capacity.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,598
THOR #5196
The ducts in the ceiling are rather small and don't flow air very well. Because of their size and number of sharp 90 degree turns the air has to make there is a lot of back pressure in the system. The total cooling capacity of the AC isn't affected but total airflow is.

I leave the ceiling vents open and there is still some air coming out even with the round vent in place. Because of the small area in the coach there is plenty of cooling everywhere. The vent is adjustable for direction which is good, if you're hot and sitting at the dinette or on the couch you can have the cool air blowing directly on you.

After having made the mod on both AC units and feeling the difference I would not go back to factory design.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
Posts: 121
THOR #7419
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKANSAN View Post
SuperD, I took your lead on this...what a difference it made! I also installed a second 13.5k A/C in place of the bedroom vent. It took no time at all and the entire installation cost less than $650.
How did you power the second AC?
__________________
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
revjeffrey's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
Posts: 921
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
This is a common problem, low flow thru the ceiling vents. Here is a picture of a simple mod to increase your airflow, the vent is available on Amazon.

Attachment 5777
I did get our ac vent today same as yours. I like the fact that it is very low profile and screws are hidden. I think I will cut the hole with a Rotozip. Just wanted to say Thank You for posting, I will be installing Monday and Leave for Florida soon just in time.
__________________
Rev. Jeffrey 2017 Thor Axis 24.1 E450 Windjammer.
Silver Safe-T-Plus Steering Control
SSF-106-40 SumoSprings Solo Front Bump Stop SSR-107-47 SumoSprings Rear Bump Stop
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,598
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
I did get our ac vent today same as yours. I like the fact that it is very low profile and screws are hidden. I think I will cut the hole with a Rotozip. Just wanted to say Thank You for posting, I will be installing Monday and Leave for Florida soon just in time.
Happy to help, but a word of caution: be careful when cutting the hole, to large and there won't be enough plastic for the screws to bite. I drew my circle with a compass set at 1/16" larger diameter than what needed.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:37 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
revjeffrey's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
Posts: 921
THOR #7074
Will do I appreciate the tip.
__________________
Rev. Jeffrey 2017 Thor Axis 24.1 E450 Windjammer.
Silver Safe-T-Plus Steering Control
SSF-106-40 SumoSprings Solo Front Bump Stop SSR-107-47 SumoSprings Rear Bump Stop
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Hittntherooad's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 320
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
How did you power the second AC?
When I installed my second AC unit in my 30.1, I wired it into the black water/freshwater pump compartment so I can plug it seperatley into the park pedestal to run both. I also installed another 20 amp breaker into the rv panel so I can plug it into the rv and run either one from the coach generator or pedestal. I have a surge protector and with both running the amps do go up to 30 with everything else off when running both off of the coach panel. The grey wire comes from the rv panel 20 amp breaker and the orange wire I can plug into the pedestal or 20 amp rv plug. Works great. Plus I have an extra 110 volt plug in the back of the rv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	5851  
__________________
Ace 30.1
Hittntherooad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
Posts: 121
THOR #7419
Wow, that is very resourceful.
__________________
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,598
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
When I installed my second AC unit in my 30.1, I wired it into the black water/freshwater pump compartment so I can plug it seperatley into the park pedestal to run both. I also installed another 20 amp breaker into the rv panel so I can plug it into the rv and run either one from the coach generator or pedestal. I have a surge protector and with both running the amps do go up to 30 with everything else off when running both off of the coach panel. The grey wire comes from the rv panel 20 amp breaker and the orange wire I can plug into the pedestal or 20 amp rv plug. Works great. Plus I have an extra 110 volt plug in the back of the rv.
Great job!!!
__________________

__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a/c, low a/c flight w, siesta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2