Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1707
Chateau Super C 33SW Slide Problem

I own a 2013 33SW with a full body slide. The slide assembly has been rebuilt 3 different times upgrading the Lippert system on all 3 occaisions. Has anyone else had these issues? I'm tired of being hung out to dry with this problem.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

THOR #1532
Good luck, read through here and you'll see my same issues with my 2014 33SW. Mine just broke for the 4th time in a year. Mine has been in the shop for over 170 days over the stupid slide. I just started Texas Lemon Law proceedings with mine, in fact I'm supposed to call my lawyer back here in a few minutes.

I was looking online, and I noticed the 2015's have two rails at the top instead of one. I wonder if that really helps, or if it makes it twice as likely to fail?

A little research on my part yesterday and I found these issues are common. I think the fact we have the 33SW makes it worse than the 35, since we have a full wall slide.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

THOR #1532
Here's a picture of a 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	510
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	292  
Old 03-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

THOR #1707
Super C 33SW Slide Issues

I currently am dealing with my selling dealer and Thor to see what they will do to get me out of this Coach. I am trying it the nice way now but if I can't get some satisfaction out of this, I may need to join you on your suit. I got hung up in El Paso last week for 4-1/2 days with this issue before a road service guy could get my slide back in.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

THOR #1532
I found a video on YouTube which shows how to take a screw out of the motor and slide it up so that you can push in the slide manually. The funny part is at the end, after pushing in his little mock-up slide, he says "Just that easy!" Now keep in mind his isn't several feet long, with a refrigerator, pantry, a dinette, and cabinetry in it. @#$(@*(!!!!

Skip up to about 2:10 and you'll see.

Of course there will be 4 motors we have to move (or 6 on a 2015), but you get the idea.

I tried finding these yesterday with no luck. I found the motors, but could not find the release screw.

I meet with my lawyer tomorrow. Since this is the 4th time it has broken, I think I have to give them a 4th chance to fix it. But I need to get it documented so that if it breaks again I have a leg to stand on.

El Paso is not where I would want to be stuck for 4 1/2 days. Before this year I traveled for work, and went to El Paso a couple of times a year. Not my favorite place.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
I was told by Thor they re engineered all full wall slides for model year 2015 to have two rails at the top and additional rollers on the bottom. I inquired because I was concerned about the weight of the full wall slide. So far I haven't had any issues.
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Hopefully, Thor will do the right thing and retrofit any coach with a full room slide to use 3 rails on each end. Anything can be retrofitted (even if it takes replacing everything but the tires), as it seems this is such a chronic problem.

Thor and Lippert/Schwintek can deal with each other as to who is at fault.

But I would not hold my breath. Hope all of you get some remediation.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

THOR #1532
I can't see anything else they can do to fix my problem other than retrofit, and even then I won't be holding my breath that it is fixed. That is why I am taking the steps I am.

I talked to my dealer yesterday. He said if I were to schedule a time to take it in for this round, it would be April 21st at the very soonest before I can deliver it. That's a 5 week wait before I can even take it in for them to look at. Last time I had to wait for a month to take it, then it sat there a month because they were too booked up, then it took another month for them to fix it. The total time from when it broke (the last time) for them to fix it was 98 days. I'm not going to sit around for almost 100 days every time I take it on a trip, just to have it break again and have to go through the whole thing all over. At that rate, 3 breaks a year will leave me almost no time to use it. It's a joke, and not a funny one.

Of the first 11 months of ownership, it spent a total of 172 days broken. Of course they don't offer loaners, so trips are cancelled or missed. No loaners works out in my favor in Texas though, if they had loaned me another RV, I could not file lemon law.

To take it to the shop is a 120 mile round trip, and usually we have to take off work to run it down there. My wife is a contractor, so she simply doesn't get paid while we spend 3 hours taking it in, then another 3 hours to go pick it up.

This amount of downtime and inconvenience is simply unacceptable.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Totally unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
The most critical aspect of the slide is making sure the floor rollers are in contact with the slide floor. If not, too much weight is on the schwintek slide and it will likely fail. Please inspect the floor rollers to make sure they are in contact with the bottom of the slide floor. It will save you much aggravation.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

THOR #1532
Why should I have to do that, and what am I going to do if there's an issue? I can't work on it by myself. I don't think an RV owner should have to worry about this sort of thing every time they want to move the slide, nor should they be expected to make repairs to a very heavy full wall slide.

I'm not angry with you, I'm just frustrated with the RV.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
No problem. The rollers to look at are adjacent to the slide mechanism, front and rear. On my unit, these rollers are easily adjustable. If you don't want to do it yourself, which I understand, you could inspect them, and if they're not contacting the floor plate, at least you would know you have a potential problem and could have it addressed before a failure occurs. On my unit, I can see the wear pattern on the floor plate so I know the rollers are in contact. When I received the unit however, the rear roller was not touching the plate and I adjusted it accordingly.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
I agree with you RobbieH, who wants to crawl under the motorhome and try to repair something that we aren't trained in. Thor should pay for someone to take it to factory and retro fit the whole slide room until it works like it's suppose too. If they are unwilling then I would start process on lemon law
Old 08-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2616
2014 Four Winds 33SW Slide Trouble

Does anyone have an update on their slide issues/fixes? I now join the ranks with the same problem. I had the rails replaced once and now the problem happened again. I would love to know if anyone has had any resolution. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Count me in on this problem too. My 2016 ACE has stripped out both of the top gear tracks. The dealer ordered the parts but who knows if it will be a permanent fix. Any updates from any of you guys results would be very appreciated.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #16

Model: 29.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2125
We have a Thor 29.3 that we purchased this past April with one large slide out. Recently our slide out would not retract. One thing we discovered that any time you extend or retract the slide out you must not stop during this movement of the slide. What happens is that over time the motor or no longer synchronous .
There are instructions on how to resolve this issue and normally you can rectify the situation by following the directions on the unit.
However, we ultimately were told that we had a bad connection. Truth be told it was a bad Swentech (spelling?) motor.
Dealer replaced the unit with a loaner motor until they get a replacement motor under warranty from Thor.
Just decided to order a spare motor on Amazon $169 .
Old 08-10-2015, 02:08 AM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgianni View Post
We have a Thor 29.3 that we purchased this past April with one large slide out. Recently our slide out would not retract. One thing we discovered that any time you extend or retract the slide out you must not stop during this movement of the slide. What happens is that over time the motor or no longer synchronous .
There are instructions on how to resolve this issue and normally you can rectify the situation by following the directions on the unit.
However, we ultimately were told that we had a bad connection. Truth be told it was a bad Swentech (spelling?) motor.
Dealer replaced the unit with a loaner motor until they get a replacement motor under warranty from Thor.
Just decided to order a spare motor on Amazon $169 .

That's good to know about not stopping. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #18

THOR #1532
Here is the video that explains retiming and proper operation of your Schwintek system.

We have only been out once since the repairs, but so far it is working fine. Keep in mind though that I now have the triple rail system with 2 rails at the top instead of just one.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #19

State: Alberta
THOR #2934
33sw super c slide

anybody think thor will get the 2013 fullslide issues figured out
2nd time our's has failed in the shop again
Old 09-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
They did go to the 3Trak system on newer models but I haven't heard anything about them retrofitting older coaches.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote