Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Gas at Pilot and Flying J

With the Good Sams member card, how do you get a discount at these stations? Do all Pilot and Flying J stations offer a discount to the Good Sams members and if not how do you know, is there a book or maybe-maybe not shop in the dark. Thanks for teaching the new guy!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:56 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
After you swipe your credit card the screen on the pump will state "Swipe your Honors Card or skip. Just swipe you Good Sam card to get the discount at the pump. If you prefer, after you pump the gas, you can go in to the register and show your receipt and card and get a credit on your card.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
There is a Pilot app for both iOS and Android as well that you can use to find the stations and get pricing. Then just do as Beau says and swipe your card at the prompt on the pump.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I do it all the time whether i'm in my RV or not. I also have the Shell Fuel Rewards card which also gets you a nickle off per gallon at any Shell station but you are limited to 20 gallons at a time. There is no limit at the Pilot/FlyingJ.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
The GS discount isn't available at all Flying J/Pilots; also some you have no choice but got inside to get it.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Gas in the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
After you swipe your credit card the screen on the pump will state "Swipe your Honors Card or skip. Just swipe you Good Sam card to get the discount at the pump. If you prefer, after you pump the gas, you can go in to the register and show your receipt and card and get a credit on your card.
Thanks for the info, if I can just train my wife to swipe!!!
Didn't know if all Pilot and Flying J stations offered the discount to the Good Sams members.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
We have only found a few FlyingJ/Pilot station that do not give discounts. They are associate stations in Montana and Wyoming. Of course, it a pain buying gas in NJ and OR as they pump the gas. In Canada, the BC guys will usually let you pump gas as they watch. RVing is always an adventure.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
I can't speak for everyone but our Pilot give us a discount at the pump for our GS card.

KC
Old 07-21-2018, 02:26 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I have a directory of Pilot and Flying J. I may have picked it up at the Tampa RV show, or perhaps at a participating station. It lists by states all the stations, whether they accept the discount and what they offer, like RV lanes.

You might be able to request one from their website. I use the Gas Buddy app when I am stopped, and plan ahead for the next fill. There can be a big difference between states, mainly due to their gas tax rate.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
If I recall correctly, swiping any approved credit card followed by your GS card gets you a 3 cent/gallon discount. But, if you have applied for a GS/Pilot Flying J credit card and use it by itself, you get a 5 cent/gallon discount. Unfortunately, for us anyway, Pilot-Flying J's are few and far between away from the interstate highways. Pilot-Flying J bills monthly at the first of the month and expects full payment by the 15th which works very well for us.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I do it all the time whether i'm in my RV or not. I also have the Shell Fuel Rewards card which also gets you a nickle off per gallon at any Shell station but you are limited to 20 gallons at a time. There is no limit at the Pilot/FlyingJ.
It is 20 gal at a time. I pump 20gal and then go through the process again to pump a second 20 gal. If I need more I have to go inside for them to set the pump. I get .10/gal discount with my rewards card.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #12

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
I'm through with Pilot/Flying J! Half the time when I swipe my Pilot card at the pump I have to go inside and jump through hoops to get the transaction to go through. We pay the card off after every trip so there is no balance and no employee can tell me what the problem is. Last trip the clerk expected me to leave my card inside with her while I filled up. Told her to pound sand and left. 3 cents a gallon is not worth the hassle!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
We also have Good Sam and Shell loyalty cards and use them but first look for a Sams Club or Costco somewhere along our route. I've seen discounts at the wholesale clubs as much as .25 per gal., so its easy to save $10 to $12 at those when filling up our Axis. The GasBuddy app is also a great resource when scouting for lowest price gas. Also, I try to avoid gas stations near an Interstate as they are almost always higher priced. Often you can drive just a quarter mile off a major highway and find gas .10 to .12 cheaper.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I gave up worrying about club discounts and now I just buy gas when and where I need it. It’s rare to get much more than a nickel off and that only saves $2.50 on a 50 gallon fill up. I’m not into wasting money but in the bigger scheme of things I’ve got better things to do.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I like Flying J because of the RV lanes at most of them. The Good Sam discount is just a bonus.