Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckJr View Post
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. Being in the insurance industry & not having a dog in the fight I would say, whoa!!!! Hold up on the lawyers, public adjusters & anyone else who will cost you additional money. I have 0 affiliation with Geico FYI. As mentioned above, insurance is a contract. You had insurance in effect at the time of loss. Give them the opportunity to settle the claim. If for some odd reason Geico doesn't settle the claim to your liking, you don't have to settle with them. You can explore options at that point. Don't "muddy the water" & complicate the issue if you don't have to.

Best advice here!! Let the End Result happen. Once you mention "lawyer" most people with any brains at all will forget who you are and never speak with you again.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. Being in the insurance industry & not having a dog in the fight I would say, whoa!!!! Hold up on the lawyers, public adjusters & anyone else who will cost you additional money. I have 0 affiliation with Geico FYI. As mentioned above, insurance is a contract. You had insurance in effect at the time of loss. Give them the opportunity to settle the claim. If for some odd reason Geico doesn't settle the claim to your liking, you don't have to settle with them. You can explore options at that point. Don't "muddy the water" & complicate the issue if you don't have to.
Sound and sensible advice: I agree!
(40 years of selling this crap...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #23

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
Propane lines seem to be a challange for Thor. With 1000 miles on the 23U, I happened to notice that the copper line supplying the stove was bent over the edge of the burner top and rubbing. I fixed it (along with over 20 other material defects). Another few 1000s more and I could have had an explosion in the coach. Interestingly, I reported it to Thor and there was no reply.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #24

Model: Citation SR24
THOR #13811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff van View Post
I have a question to all.
We filed a claim with Geico in August for a fire caused in the outside section of our refrigerator, the adjuster came completed all the paperwork and pricing to have it fixed.
We dropped off our class A at the repair center and are to pick it up in the next week are so.
Out of the blue Geico dropped us.
My question is "are they still responsible to pay for our claim our do we have to pull 13000 out of our pocket to get our RV back.
Any help will be appreciated.
If your policy was current at the time of the loss then they are liable for the loss and have to pay. It would be bad faith if they denied it. They do have the right to drop you after though.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #25

Model: ACE 29.1
State: Maryland
THOR #10458
Call your state insurance administration and complain.They will straighten Geico out.

Call your state insurance administration and complain.They will straighten Geico out.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #26

State: Virginia
THOR #8138
I agree with the recommendations and information given to you by ChuckJr and TurnerFam. After 36 yrs in the insurance/claims industry and current owner of a regional Independent Adjusting firm, I can confirm what you experienced is not that unusual. Many factors play into the insurance carriers decisions to Non-Renew a policy and while the decision may feel personal to you it's just business for them.
Concerning your claim, as long as the policy was in force at the time of the loss(fire) your insurance carrier has a legal and contractual obligation to make you whole up to the limits and conditions stated in your policy (contract). If you have not had any issues with carrier yet I wouldn't just jump to the conclusion that you will simply because you've been non-renewed. I recommend that you communicate the progress of your repairs to the adjuster on a regular basis and be as pleasant and cooperative as possible. Adjusters have a difficult job and appreciate insureds that are easy to work with. Oh...and keep copious notes, just n case. If you do any any issues that can't be worked out and you feel worthwhile I recommend that you contact your Department of Insurance explaining your position and requesting that they obtain an explanation from GEICO. Insurance carrier HATE getting DOI complaints.
I do not recommend you get an ATTY except as a desperate last resort.
I'm sure you'll be fine. Just work with the adjuster and see what happens.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #27

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
No Sweat

Yep they have to pay and they will. Stop sweating it. I'm 100% certain they were contacted by the repair dealer prior to the dealer sinking time and money into the repairs. That way the dealer ensures they will be paid by the insurance company.

Never ever saw a dealership or repair place that would do a $13,000 repair without being virtually guaranteed of full payment by someone you or most likely the insurer.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #28

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #11004
Quote:
Having also worked in the insurance industry, I second Chuck opinion.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #29

Model: Tuscany
State: California
THOR #10705
Smile Insurance Dropped Me.

You were insured at the time of your loss. The Insurance company Geico is fully responsible for your loss less any deductible you may have. If they give you a problem, be sure to follow up with the Department of Insurance (Insurance Commissioner.) Best of Luck to you. I worked for Major Insurance Company for 36 years prior to retirement.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #30

State: Colorado
THOR #4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff van View Post
I have a question to all.
We filed a claim with Geico in August for a fire caused in the outside section of our refrigerator, the adjuster came completed all the paperwork and pricing to have it fixed.
We dropped off our class A at the repair center and are to pick it up in the next week are so.
Out of the blue Geico dropped us.
My question is "are they still responsible to pay for our claim our do we have to pull 13000 out of our pocket to get our RV back.
Any help will be appreciated.
If you are old enough to join AARP you can get RV insurance thru them, better and much cheaper.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #31

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Right Turn Clyde

Well I now this post started out about a guy having questions over his insurance not being renewed but...

The lowest cost insurance I have found in 20 years is through Good Sam. If you are a part time RV user like me it will save you hundreds to use them. You pay for your time in the RV. Park it (store) and you stop paying but your RV is covered for the typical fire, vandalism, weather, theft. Wanna go someplace the following weekend? Call em and they turn on the road coverage, return home 5 days later, you call em and they turn off road coverage. You pay a nominal fee for the 5 days only! It saves hundreds annually.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:21 AM   #32

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #8058
Question Rv Wholesale Warranties

I'm looking for a RV Insurance Co. for My Thor 24F. Has any body signed up to Wholesale Warranties? Or what insurance Co do you recommend to take care of things happing inside the RV.