Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 02:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #16050
New RV Help

Just purchased a new Vegas 27.7 and will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, or checklist that will come in handy during the walkthrough/pickup at the dealer? I've been told those walkthroughs can be tricky if not stressful. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 AM   #2

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your new rig.
I found Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis manual (and this forum) as my best resources when I was picking up our new Compass this spring. The motorhomes are not the same - but the concepts are. You can find the latest version at https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiYx6DLSeiiPgYBSfmvPhwGsR_0TkQ
There's a Pre Delivery Inspection checklist that's outstanding (starting at page 22). I followed it. Took me about 4 hours to go through everything.
Check the mileage and age. If it needs it, get the oil changed. And pay special attention to the coach (house) batteries. Dealers don't maintain them very well. Mine looked good - but I should have put some load on them because they were garbage. Am now trying to get some compensation but am not sure.
I did not find the PDI stressful. Just take your time. Test everything. And make sure they fix things before you take possession. Once you drive it off the lot, you can get warranty work done - but it could take time to make an appointment.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:58 AM   #3

THOR #16050
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the help. I will definitely use the checklist and heed your warning about not taking possession of the unit until all the items that were not operational are corrected.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
If this is your first rv and are not sure how things work take notes. Lots of notes, some folks have gone so far as to do a video. Go at your speed not theres. I just finished a pdi (my4th) took almost 4hr. on a used unit. Good luck and enjoy your unit.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Buying is a real unique experience. Mr.Felkers manual is great and gives you a great head start. This forum is wealth of knowedge as well, lots of good people willing to help.

We bought our unit in 2016 and never looked back. We dif have the benefit of 4 hours with tech testing and operating everything. The dealer/finance/tech were excellent. I hope you have close to same experience we did and wish you best of luck.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
All of the above answers are good. I'll just add that if you know someone that owns an rv take them with you. They have been through this and can help you remember things to do.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
As previously mentioned, Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis manual is a great list. Also have them show you the correct way to check your tire pressure before you drive off.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

THOR #16050
Thank you all so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to pick it up! These next couple of weeks are going to take forever to get here!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Take time over the next couple of weeks to read as much as you can about your specific model and floorplan, watch youtube videos, ask questions. Do not expect the sales reps or service rep to know much about your coach. It's very common for the new buyer to know more about the RV they are purchasing than the dealer who is selling to you. Most of them are not RVers and have probably never traveled or camped in one. They are merely sales and tech reps. Learn all you can prior to PDI about hookups (electric and plumbing). Not everything needed will come with the coach. Don't let any of it scare you. The folks in this forum can answer your questions and you have plenty of time. Most of all, have fun learning and putting it all into practice will be even more fun. Hope to meet you in a campground soon.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

Model: Ace 27.7
State: Indiana
THOR #15856
Yes use the video on your camera to record the parts you might want to refer back to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esqui View Post
Just purchased a new Vegas 27.7 and will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, or checklist that will come in handy during the walkthrough/pickup at the dealer? I've been told those walkthroughs can be tricky if not stressful. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Thank you all so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to pick it up! These next couple of weeks are going to take forever to get here!
It's going to feel like "Christmas in July"!
Old 07-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Pssst..(whisper) Bob, is your wife watching QVC? Mine is. Dang Christmas in July is taking away all my cool RV stuff money.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Since you are buying a Vegas make sure you pay close attention and have the Rep.fasten your waste hose to the connection and have him show you how it swivels down keep a bandaid in your pocket because he's going to cut the crap out of his hand with the screws they have sticking through the compartment but make sure he shows you how to swivel the waste hose connection in the DOWN POSITION. That way it will line up with factory hole in compartment.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Patience. Not being able to wait to pick something up has resulted in a lot of folks driving off the lot with a unit that is not ready for delivery. Be ready to walk away when the unit is not adequately prepped on delivery day. And, most importantly, don't sign the final purchase agreement until it is ready.

Enjoy.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
Pssst..(whisper) Bob, is your wife watching QVC? Mine is. Dang Christmas in July is taking away all my cool RV stuff money.
She stays away from that horrible channel!
Although we did spend most of the day shopping in her favorite "Brick & Mortars...)

But she DID buy some fabric for use in making new privacy curtains for the windows up in the cab of our rig...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #16

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
I agree with dstankov, do not be in a hurry. Make the dealer show you that everything works and don't let them promise that when you buy, the service is excellent. I can tell you from recent experience, Camping World does not care no matter how much money you spend. Sign the final paperwork when you are SURE that everything is in working order. Get ready for the extended service warranty speech that is very costly and you don't need.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #6605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwiemer View Post
Yes use the video on your camera to record the parts you might want to refer back to.
Well neighbor, I c u found the site. U will grow to value the experiences and advice of this community, I know I have. W/O repeating all the sage comments/advice just remember to enjoy the exp & most importantly ask every question u can think of or look up & yes dont drive away with an appt to "return and get this fixed nxt wk" make them fix it then.
U and DW r on ur way to exposing ur kids to a diff life thats full of fun, excitement, travel, mistakes, wrong turns, questionable campgrounds, laughs and many memories some of which u try to forget most of which u & they will treasure for a lifetime.
Good luck u know where i live if u need

-Carlos
Old 07-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #18

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Pdi

Do some reading in this forum about the road handling issues that you are about to take on. Very few new owners are happy with the characteristics when they first take ownership. If you can get them to pay for an alignment right out of the gate you will be lucky but some do. FYI, I paid for weighing/alignment, front Sumo springs, Saf-T-Plus steering and Koni shocks before our 24.1 handled well enough that it was enjoyable to drive.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #19

THOR #16050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco05 View Post
Well neighbor, I c u found the site. U will grow to value the experiences and advice of this community, I know I have. W/O repeating all the sage comments/advice just remember to enjoy the exp & most importantly ask every question u can think of or look up & yes dont drive away with an appt to "return and get this fixed nxt wk" make them fix it then.
U and DW r on ur way to exposing ur kids to a diff life thats full of fun, excitement, travel, mistakes, wrong turns, questionable campgrounds, laughs and many memories some of which u try to forget most of which u & they will treasure for a lifetime.
Good luck u know where i live if u need

-Carlos
Hey neighbor,

Thanks again for your help and for recommending this phenomenal app/forum. Everyone has been very helpful...and yes, I'm sure I will be bugging you at times for help or recommendations, so thank you in advance.

Esqui
Old 08-05-2019, 02:05 AM   #20

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
PLEASE have water test done on the slides in closed, open and duplicate in transit. Water test the windshield. Do not leave the lot without having Michelin Tire put on the unit. The Hankook are junk.
To get your unit to handle well the tire change, Safe T Plus. I also had tp install Heavy Duty front and rear sway bars, Trak Bar, all by Roadmaster.
The On Demand hot water tank take a special adjustment. The tank access is made by removing the drawers under the pantry.
Be prepared to spend 18 months getting this correct.
Now for a new one. The generator may have a defective fuel pump. The generator will run for about 1.5-2 hours and shut off. Onan will replace.
LEAKS-LEAKS-LEAKS.
Check drawers and doors for fit.
As one gentleman states the sewer is a fun think to learn.
The water in the bath sink goes into the Blackwater holding tank.
Might be best to have a talk. I have so many great things to warn you about.