Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Cool Planning Software Recommendations ?

We are going to be doing our first cross-country trip this summer, Florida to California, California to Pennsylvania before heading back to Florida.

Does anyone know of an app or software where we can enter something like "campgrounds within X hours (or miles) of my present location" and that might also show truck stops along the route ?

Thanks in advance !

Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I think most any RV specific GPS has software to do such. I’ve not used it but believe my Garmin 770 can do it. It’s a fine, though not infallible traveling companion.

In any event, have a fabulous safe trip! It’s what these things were built to do.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
In my ongoing thread in the link below is every android app I use.
There're six or seven.
They all have their own usefulness.
Most do what you're asking.

Rvparky isn't being updated but I don't care. The rv parks are right where they've always been.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:21 AM   #4

THOR #14543
Cool

Thanks ! I'll do a little research on those. Hopefully some will also have iPhone versions.

This will be our first time west of the Mississippi in something that doesn't have wings and jet engines.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:29 AM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm ssssoooo tired of helping people plan trips kn this forum just to never have them do a follow up.
But for you sir, if you're coming through Arizona, ill5help you with every mile of it.
Start a thread when you're ready.

And

If they don't have iPhone apps just buy a used $20 and do the download.
The phone doesn't have to be activated as a phone for apps and GPS to work.

A $99 ta let will work also.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:39 AM   #6

THOR #14543
Cool

We'll be coming west on I-10 early in June, then east on the same road some time in late June. The beauty of retirement - - the calendar and the clock are pretty much meaningless.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
RV trip wizard. Subscription service. Let’s you configure distance and gives you what is there. We set ours at 150, 250 and 350. Circles are straight line and not road distance. Great program for planning
Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
https://roadtrippers.com/ will also let you pick campgrounds along the way (in addition to a bunch of other stuff) and its free.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #9

THOR #14543
Two more great suggestions. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #10

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
I suggest RV Trip Wizard. We use it all the time to plan trips. It will do everything you asked.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Garmin 770 RV GPS and "ParkAdvisor" app. I also use Google Maps, Aerial Views and Street Views. A little research each morning for your route and planned fueling windows paves the road ahead of you. Garmin watches out for low overpasses, has all the fuel stops, rest areas and Big Box Store "campsites", etc., ParkAdvisor allows you to view CG's ahead of yourself on the fly with great pictures and reviews and Google puts you on the 3D scene of every future stop.

I'm not one to over plan our trips...we travel "on the fly" for the most part. It leaves things open for changes and spontaneity. There are others that make a science of route planning and adjust departure times and road speed to stay on pinpoint target times. And then, there are areas of high volume camping where you have to plan days ahead of time. You'll hear all of here...good luck and have fun. Remember...it's not where you're going that matters...it's how you get there that makes it fun.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:04 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We use RVparky, Freecampsites.net and Google. We don't plan intermediate stops, just final destination. When we stop for lunch we decide how much further we want to travel that day and start looking. If we are on the interstate we also use a printed copy of Next Exit.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:28 AM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Some great recommendations for apps and GPS but my question is how to determine what campground to stay at. You can go brain numb looking at Google and trip adviser comments even the comment section on Campground reviews can be frustrating. I guess what I'm looking for is there any good location or App that will give good reviews or even pictures of the campground.

Gary
Old 01-29-2020, 01:12 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
Some great recommendations for apps and GPS but my question is how to determine what campground to stay at. You can go brain numb looking at Google and trip adviser comments even the comment section on Campground reviews can be frustrating. I guess what I'm looking for is there any good location or App that will give good reviews or even pictures of the campground.

Gary
Campground Reviews now has pictures.

In addition there is this website:
https://www.campgroundviews.com/

They are trying to get video of all the campgrounds (and encourage users to upload video). They already have a good number of the more popular campgrounds (at least the national parks, etc.).

What I've also used is Google Street View (or Google Earth--its web based now: https://earth.google.com/web/ ).
On google maps or Earth click the little person icon to see the blue lines covering the roads, in addition to that there will be blue circles from people uploading their own pictures to google. You can click on any of the blue circles or the lines and drop into street view right there.

Like this street view from Last Dollar Mountain in Colorado.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 AM   #15

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Thanks for the tips. Google maps and satellite view are great. I use them all the time.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:05 AM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Thanks ! I'll do a little research on those. Hopefully some will also have iPhone versions.

This will be our first time west of the Mississippi in something that doesn't have wings and jet engines.
We have an RV version of the Garmin...which we use occasionally...however, I suggest, rather than using your phone (which I have done in a pinch)..get or use an iPad...I have a iPad mini 2 which is relatively small and out dated compared to the present models...but this is a perfect workhorse of a tablet...the screen is large enough to read a map..pinch zoom...and is easily charged with the usb port on our radio. It, like your phone is only as good as your phone service...but I can anticipate when I might be losing a signal and take a screen shot to use.
NOW...regarding looking ahead for RV parks...I generally begin working a couple hours ahead of our stopping for the day...I depend on RV Parks Reviews...and Google 'RV Parks near (town)...then I read the reviews...make sure they easy to navigate, etc. AND .. I call directly to the office...no reservations through a 2nd party booking.

So there ya go ! If you are pulling a toad...make sure you use Satellite view of gas stations and restaurants...so, again, you can navigate and park with ease.

keep us all posted on your progress !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We have an RV version of the Garmin...which we use occasionally...however, I suggest, rather than using your phone (which I have done in a pinch)..get or use an iPad...I have a iPad mini 2 which is relatively small and out dated compared to the present models...but this is a perfect workhorse of a tablet...the screen is large enough to read a map..pinch zoom...and is easily charged with the usb port on our radio. It, like your phone is only as good as your phone service...but I can anticipate when I might be losing a signal and take a screen shot to use.
NOW...regarding looking ahead for RV parks...I generally begin working a couple hours ahead of our stopping for the day...I depend on RV Parks Reviews...and Google 'RV Parks near (town)...then I read the reviews...make sure they easy to navigate, etc. AND .. I call directly to the office...no reservations through a 2nd party booking.

So there ya go ! If you are pulling a toad...make sure you use Satellite view of gas stations and restaurants...so, again, you can navigate and park with ease.

keep us all posted on your progress !
I have a small, inexpensive, Samsung tablet I use that is WiFi only: I tell google maps to download all the map data for our next trip so it doesn't need an internet connection.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #18

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I think most any RV specific GPS has software to do such. I’ve not used it but believe my Garmin 770 can do it. It’s a fine, though not infallible traveling companion.

In any event, have a fabulous safe trip! It’s what these things were built to do.
I also have a Garmin 770RV and it does show those stops. You do have to go into the settings though and select which POIs you want to see.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #19

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #17285
Try Chimani
Old 01-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #20

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
For planning trips I switched to RV trip wizard. It's not perfect but the planning feature is intuitive and the distance planning tool is helpful. It also has a cost estimator. It takes about 30 minutes to set up the tools and the learning curve is fast. On the road I use RV trip wizard and Garmin. "Overnight RV parking" app has been helpful and was worth the $20 we paid. Lots of useful info about walmarts, rest areas, pull overs, etc. Easy to use.