Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
rodents and bugs

I am not going to 'split hairs' regarding particle board being used as a building product...simply made a statement regarding its susceptibility to moisture...
moving on....

REGARDING RODENT and wasp problems ... we have had 2 successful recommendations to keep mice/bugs and wasps from invading our stored RV.
I hope mice and rats fall into the same relative category.

This commentary ought to bring several interesting responses!

[BBounce]Dryer sheets [/B]strategically placed throughout RV ..drawers & cabinets, etc. making sure they do not come in contact with anything that might ignite them..of course...this item seems to be a deterrent ... Some say it works..others say it doesn't help...I googled it, as I had heard about this...One person said if it was a good rodent repellent, Bounce would market it as such ! I figure, If it helps just a little, keeping bugs and mice out during storage, I can stand my coach smelling like a 'breath of fresh air' !!
ha !

Cow...yes...cow...ear tags...the kind which are saturated with insect repellent...you can purchase a pack of 25 (more than enough) from your local farm supply store (we shared our extras with friends) ...
hang a couple in our a/c unit away from moving parts....in water vent and refrigerator vent...and any other spots where wasps like to make their nests.
This bit of info was offered to us by an RV salesperson..in the course of conversation about 10 yrs ago...have not had a wasp problem since...

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Thanks for the info, so I guess OSB is an upgrade from particle board? Bottom line is to try to keep it dry as much as possible.

I'll be looking for a fabrication business if all else fails; I use to do some body work at a friend's garage, been four to five decades ago!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #23
vkb

THOR #3510
outdoor tv connection

Ron took a look at that setup...and would up covering the hole with
black Gorilla Tape...an easy fix...and he said if it sticks in place, as well as it does to the roll, it should stay in place for the season. Keeping moisture out is what he feels it can do.
We shall keep an eye on it...see how it does under wear n tear of being on the road.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #24

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Today, we had RV Repair visit our unit for the infamous battery/electrical problem we have.
He crawled under the coach below the refrigerator. While there, he noticed the connectors for hdmi, etc for the outdoor tv (located in the storage box below the TV) ON THE BACKSIDE of this installation...these connectors are not protected from the elements. He recommended we cover this area with a plastic box or rubber .. sealed and screwed to the box (use small/short screws to they will not stick out into the storage box)
THESE WIRES AS SHOWN IN MY PHOTO, ARE NOT PROTECTED AT ALL.
He explained that if these wires are left unprotected..they will corrode from water, road salt, etc...and could, possibly, short out the electrical system.

I am attaching a photo of the exposed, backside of the TV connectors.Attachment 1590
Mine on the 25.3 are in the storage compartment next to the tv. Guess each unit is different.

TV is middle/up compartment and connections are forward and below compartment. Thor should have ran it to the nearest compartment on your unit.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3552
Quote:
maybe try to track down a 3-D printer
I have a 3D printer - be happy to print something up. My print area is 5.5x5.5x5.5 but realistically it would have to be smaller.

I just checked my Axis 24.1 and did not see the problem but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #26
vkb

THOR #3510
On the 24.1 those connectors are in the compartment directly below and to the left of the outside tv.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-24-2016, 01:37 AM   #27

THOR #2142
Cosmo,

On our Vegas 24.1 the problem is the way the game console is hacked into the second storage bin under the TV (the bin closest to the wheels).

Now, lay on your back, suck in the gut and slide in head first until you can see the back side of the storage bin. On the top right corner of the bin closest to the back wheel you will see something that looks like attach 1.

If you take your phone and blindly shoot several pictures at different angles you will see something that looks like attach 2. Now that is the problem, with all those connections, wires and what nots getting them wet from spray off the road and or tires then the corrosion and the particle board falling appart.

Need to make that 6.5" X 6.5" gapping hole a little more waterproof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160319_08_00_15_Pro.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1617

Name:	WP_20160319_08_00_02_Pro.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1618Co

Doc

Old 03-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #28

THOR #1123
I must have lucked out on mine. They used some Good Stuff to fill in the hole where the wiring went through and no sign of any particle board.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:15 AM   #29

THOR #3552
Found it - thanks. Mine looks a bit better - smaller hole but still open to the elements:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	av_cutout.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1621  
Old 03-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #30
vkb

THOR #3510
Larry !! you are one LUCKY DUCK !!
Cosmo...
You guys must have been on the Monday build !!
I will post a photo of Rons 'Gorilla Tape' job...I think he is just tired right now !
He has been contemplating a plastic box-type cover...at this point, he just wanted to get it covered !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-24-2016, 02:32 AM   #31

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
The backside of mine is fully enclosed inside the compartment with the wires going straight up to the TV inside the coach. They are not exposed to the outside anywhere nor the backside of the compartment. If I took a picture you would just see the rear wall of the compartment. What about some tape and Flexseal over it all?
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #32

THOR #2142
Larry,

Can you snap a picture and post it here? I have been contacted by Thor after I sent them pictures of the mess I have. It would be nice to show them what it should (or could) look like when done correctly.

Thanks.

Cosom,

Your's does look better...a nice round whole, mine is a ragged gaping roughly squarish hole with no effort to seal it closed.

Doc

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #33
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Larry,

Can you snap a picture and post it here? I have been contacted by Thor after I sent them pictures of the mess I have. It would be nice to show them what it should (or could) look like when done correctly.

Thanks.

Cosom,

Your's does look better...a nice round whole, mine is a ragged gaping roughly squarish hole with no effort to seal it closed.

Doc
Ours is like yours DocMike...since we are going to CW this am to get our battery disconnect issue resolved, I thought I would mention to CW that issue as well...As I stated yesterday...Ron put Gorilla Tape over it yesterday, as it is cold n wet today !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #34

THOR #2142
Another use for Duct Tape (Gorilla Tape).

Doc

Old 03-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #35

THOR #3552
Would it be a bad idea to use some sort of expandable foam to seal the hole?
I have seen some sort of black foam used in many other locations.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #36

THOR #2142
Cosmo,

Once I get/fabricate a cover for the hole (may be duct tape) I plan to pack a plastic liner/shield over the exposed RCA and HDMI plugs then fill the void with an expandable foam.

I'd like to see what Larry got on his unit. And I am still awaiting a follow-up reply from Thor Customer Service to the pictures I sent them.

Doc

Old 03-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #37

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Would it be a bad idea to use some sort of expandable foam to seal the hole?
I have seen some sort of black foam used in many other locations.
That's what Thor used on mine (expandable foam to seal it off) and the wiring is pretty neat going in. There's only one small wire branching off going to the side marker light that hangs a bit loose.

DocMike/ I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get back home later this evening.
Sorry. Should have done it when I checked on it.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #38

THOR #2142
Larry,

No problem and thanks for looking into it.

Speaking for myself, I'm a visual learner...and if I can see it I can usually McGiver something that looks like it.

Doc

Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #39

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
OK -- next time we come up with a project for Axis/Vegas owners to verify, it needs to not involve having to jam the Michelon around my waist under the bottom of the coach exterior wall trim.

Here's what I found on mine.

The HDMI and RCA connections for a game box of CD player for the outside TV are in the storage compartment under the outside TV just in front of the right rear tires. The box with the connections are anchored to the rear wall of the storage container in the aft corner.

The storage box itself is fiberglass with all rounded corners and is in a larger fiberglass box that is anchored to the exterior walls and floor. There is about a 5" space all around the storage box to the sides of the larger fiberglass containment box. In figures 1 and 2 you can see a very neat regular hole was cut in the upper rear inside corner of the outer containment box to facilitate routing the cables for the TV peripheral connections. You can see those cables were routed inside two corrugated looms, nd the looms terminate well inside the hole in the containment box. The two wires not routed through the looms are chassis grounds.

In figures 3 and 4 you can see where the TV connections connect to the box for the internal storage compartment connections. Notice there are no exposed wood or fiberboard like appeared in the other owners' pictures. The routing and connection on my coach is pretty clean.

I will still go to my dealer with a warranty issue for them to seal the hole in the containment box where the wire looms are routed with expansion foam to seal the hole. In this way it will be sealed similar to how all the wire looms are sealed in the storage compartment under my driver's seat. I figure this will make that routing fairly weather tight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outside tv 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside tv 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1632  

Name:	Outside tv 3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside tv 4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1634  

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #40

THOR #1123
Here's a couple of pictures of what mine looks like underneath. Apologize for the lighting and delay in posting. Had a frog strangler when I got home and is still rather dark outside.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1636

Will follow up with another post and picture of the other side. (Haven't figured out how to post more than one picture.)