Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 41
THOR #6090
Slide and stabilizers

We have a Thor 29.3 which has the extra long side. When the slide is extended we feel a slight sloping on that side of the MH even with our jacks down. Is this normal or do we need to look at getting slide stabilizers? Read that these stabilizer can also prevent any issues with the slide mechanism. Any suggestions on type of stabilizer will help also. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
travelingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
Posts: 235
THOR #1183
If you have a leveling system - it needs to have auto level reset after slide is out. Easiest was to get coach REALLY level is with water hose taped to trim at front and back and then side to side. Fill hose and water runs out low end.
__________________

__________________
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,452
THOR #6411
With my coach perfectly level with the slides in (using 4' aluminum level), putting the two drivers side slides out will tilt the coach 0.8 degrees even with the coach in concrete. It is easy to select manual level on the jack control panel and bring it back into level. That is even with Snap Pads on the jacks. On wet grass it can tilt even more, so I carry four 2x2' by 3/4" plywood squares to put under the jacks. I still have to touch up the level after the slides are out. I use the bathroom door as a guide to level. If partially open it should not move.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,928
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcat View Post
We have a Thor 29.3 which has the extra long side. When the slide is extended we feel a slight sloping on that side of the MH even with our jacks down. Is this normal or do we need to look at getting slide stabilizers? Read that these stabilizer can also prevent any issues with the slide mechanism. Any suggestions on type of stabilizer will help also. Thanks.
What would happen if motorhome is accidentally lowered due to a failure in leveling system while jacks are under the slide? Or if motorhome settles more than stabilizers? Seems that could cause major damage; possibly even to structure.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rickymac's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
Posts: 282
THOR #6507
Excellent Point

Chance, I was leaning towards getting the supports, not now. Great comment.
__________________
Rick & Jan
with Lilly (Most Active Dog) & Mattie (Laziest Dog in the World)
Wally: 2014 Thor Windsport 34f
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
Posts: 279
THOR #6199
Very good food for thought. If you really needed the slide stabilizers it would be a god idea to use scissor jacks next to auto levelers. Extra work.
__________________
Shawn
2017 Windsport 35M
Shawn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,627
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcat View Post
We have a Thor 29.3 which has the extra long side. When the slide is extended we feel a slight sloping on that side of the MH even with our jacks down. Is this normal or do we need to look at getting slide stabilizers? Read that these stabilizer can also prevent any issues with the slide mechanism. Any suggestions on type of stabilizer will help also. Thanks.
This is normal, especially with full wall slides. Stabilizers are not a good idea for the reasons mentioned above. You should also not re level your coach with the slide out, you could torque the frame and make it difficult, if not impossible to retract the slide. Just know that what you are experiencing is normal and not something to worry about. Enjoy your coach!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ace30.2's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
Posts: 121
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
This is normal, especially with full wall slides. Stabilizers are not a good idea for the reasons mentioned above. You should also not re level your coach with the slide out, you could torque the frame and make it difficult, if not impossible to retract the slide. Just know that what you are experiencing is normal and not something to worry about. Enjoy your coach!
I was wondering if it was ok to relevel after the slide was out. I have a 30.2 with the full slide. I usually get the mh level(use a bubble level on the floor) then bump the slide side up a little more to hopefully compensate.
__________________
Ace30.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
Posts: 808
THOR #5246
There are two ways to support slides. Using a support under the slide going to the ground should never be used IMHO. If a jack stand leg settles or a tire deflates it could put way too much pressure on the slide. There are arms that go horizontally at the bottom of the slide between the exterior lip of the slide and the side of the coach. A set of these came with my unit but I have never used them.

Just a word of caution about re-leveling after your slides are deployed. I wouldn't do "auto level ", but instead go into manual mode and then adjust as needed by bumping arrow keys.
__________________
Full Time in 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369
pulling a 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper/Harley/Kayak)
(traded 2014 Thor Challenger)
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
Posts: 75
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Just a word of caution about re-leveling after your slides are deployed. I wouldn't do "auto level ", but instead go into manual mode and then adjust as needed by bumping arrow keys.
x2
__________________
jtroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,125
THOR #1150
Wouldn't it be easier to do the following:
Calibration:
  • Level the RV (auto or manually)
  • Put the slide(s) out
  • Measure the amount that the camper leans
When camping:
  • Level the RV (auto or manually)
  • Put some additional "tilt" in the camper equal to the amount of the lean measured in the calibration step above but in the opposite direction
  • Put the slide out
This way you're not leveling with the slide out, and you're pre-compensating for the drop the slide adds before you put the slide out.
(If we had power levelers this is the procedure I'd likely follow)
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,627
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to do the following:
Calibration:
  • Level the RV (auto or manually)
  • Put the slide(s) out
  • Measure the amount that the camper leans
When camping:
  • Level the RV (auto or manually)
  • Put some additional "tilt" in the camper equal to the amount of the lean measured in the calibration step above but in the opposite direction
  • Put the slide out
This way you're not leveling with the slide out, and you're pre-compensating for the drop the slide adds before you put the slide out.
(If we had power levelers this is the procedure I'd likely follow)
EXCELLENT idea!!!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 923
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
If you have a leveling system - it needs to have auto level reset after slide is out. Easiest was to get coach REALLY level is with water hose taped to trim at front and back and then side to side. Fill hose and water runs out low end.
There's these new fangled doodads I like to use called "bubble levels", the guy what thunk them up was a genius.
__________________

__________________
Danny & Linda
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×