Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
My theory is that some of these noises are what I might call "normal"

When the coach is under way, the thing is moving and flexing. With that big hole cut in the side for the slide, the slide box is bound to move around relative to the coach walls that it sits in, right?

So I imagine that the elastomer seals will do a slip-stick thing and could potentially make all sorts of popping and banging noises.

I figure these would come and go, with variables including
slight changes in position over time
road condition
cleanliness
things getting worn-in
how tight it was made to begin with
etc....

My coach had some weird noises from the slide the 1st few trips, but they mostly I'd say they've worked themselves out.

Not saying that your noise is caused by this, just that it might be a possibility.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Since we are talking about slide noises I will throw this out there FWIW. According to the slide mfg., we are to apply silicone spray to the seals. I did that inside and out. First time I pulled out of my RV lot which is kinda lumpy, the slide sounded like one of the motors or track had come loose. It made a thumping sound. It took a couple of days of checking it out to find that it was the lube that had made the seals do a stick-slip routine or similar and was making the noise. It has moderated some now, but did cause me some concern. Now, if I can just find some rubber lube..........uh, lube for the seals so they will not stick-slip.<g>
Old 08-31-2015, 12:34 AM   #23

State: Michigan
THOR #1754
Guys, I had the same problem in my 2015 Chateau 33w Super C. Only the driver could hear the noise when the coach went over bumps. It was right behind my head. They took apart the bulkhead between the drivers seat and the slide out and found a support that had lost a screw holding it in place. Problem fixed.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #24

State: Illinois
THOR #1957
Ours is a 33T and had a similar noise the last time we had it out. (although a different configuration, thought it was worth mentioning) We found our thumping noise to be one of the legs that fold down to make the bed was banging against the wall. It certainly sounded much worse than it truly was.

Hope this helps someone.

Doug
Old 09-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
...I shudder at the thought of CW starting to rip into my cabinets and trim, on a wild goose chase!!
It's what they do! When you see the technicians with putty knives, they are performing cabinet surgery.

Many of the cabinets are designed with hidden channels for electrical/entertainment wiring and plumbing. The only way to get into the channels is to deconstruct the cabinets.

The "fine" carpentry in new motorhomes is nothing more than staples and very light glue. It's easy to take apart, and easy to reassemble without leaving any trace, (most of the time).
Old 09-12-2015, 03:43 AM   #26

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
First trip home with our new Thor Ace 27.1 to home was 220 miles. No abnormal noises. Second trip out at 230 miles to campground was the same. Coming home, heard thumping behind my head. My wife found the pull down shade had partially lowered and was banging inside the window valence. Just a thought.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomeOfReligion View Post
First trip home with our new Thor Ace 27.1 to home was 220 miles. No abnormal noises. Second trip out at 230 miles to campground was the same. Coming home, heard thumping behind my head. My wife found the pull down shade had partially lowered and was banging inside the window valence. Just a thought.
My Challenger has dual pull down shades on all windows except the driver's compartment. I noticed that how the shades are positioned for travelling does make a difference. Only one of the shades on each window has a soft strip positioned so if it hits the window frame it minimizes noise. The bottom bar for this shade (not sure if it's the black out or solar) has to be lower than the other to minimize the noise (thumping). Having the wrong setup for travelling at times causes a banging or thumping noise. I have found this is the case on all windows.

If you have a dual shade setup and periodically hear a thumping or banging while driving check the shades first.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have a 2014 Hurricane 27k and I hear a thumping noise coming from the wall area next to the slide near the door. It was not noticeable when I bought it, but every trip I start out I have to drive over some bumps on a sort of sideways path and it always makes the noise when the coach rocks. I have searched everything, I think something is in the wall but no way to take the wall down. I took it to Camping World they sprayed the slide groves and charged me $180, told me it had to be done every 6 months. It did not fix the problem. I have installed the slide blocker, the thing they give you to secure the slide if it fails to see if that helped and it did not. I see I am not alone with this problem..
Old 09-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #29

Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
THOR #2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Since we are talking about slide noises I will throw this out there FWIW. According to the slide mfg., we are to apply silicone spray to the seals. I did that inside and out. First time I pulled out of my RV lot which is kinda lumpy, the slide sounded like one of the motors or track had come loose. It made a thumping sound. It took a couple of days of checking it out to find that it was the lube that had made the seals do a stick-slip routine or similar and was making the noise. It has moderated some now, but did cause me some concern. Now, if I can just find some rubber lube..........uh, lube for the seals so they will not stick-slip.<g>
Did you find the silicone? And did it make any difference on the rubber seal noise. What type spray did you use
Old 09-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #30

Model: Vegas
State: Kansas
THOR #2031
Well guess what. I have the same maddening thumping noise coming from the only slide in my Vegas. I would think that Thor could figure out what it is since it is obviously a manufacturing defect.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #31

THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroph View Post
Well guess what. I have the same maddening thumping noise coming from the only slide in my Vegas. I would think that Thor could figure out what it is since it is obviously a manufacturing defect.

not a defect, just something left behind It has to be something loose bouncing around.. what could it be?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #32

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Arkansas
THOR #4438
Found what's making thumping noise in my 36MQ

I was experiencing an occasional thumping or bumping noise above my head while driving and experiencing side to side motion of the coach. I originally thought it was something to do with the kitchen slide which is right behind the driver's seat. However, almost directly above the driver's seat is the cabinet holding the entertainment electronics, such as the satellite controller, a dvr, the switcher box for the HDMI cables, and a Direct TV receiver.
I found the culprit!!! I was able to reach deep into the back of the electronics cabinet and feel a bunch of wires and cables. One of the cables is from from the roof satellite dish to the dish controller located in the cabinet housing the entertainment electronics. The satellite power cord has a rectangular voltage transformer box, about the size and shape of a large chalkboard eraser (but much heavier). This transformer box was just dangling by the cord, and was banging around, especially when experiencing side to side rocking motions in the coach. I have secured the converter box and problem solved (at least for now).
Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 AM   #33

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
Same for us

We had the same problem. Took the panel off, where the antennae jack and plug are, above the couch, in the cabinet. We added a piece of 1/2" foam between wall and amplifier box. No more banging.
www.yellowstonescooters.com
TheHomeOfReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #34
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Doing some research I came across some interesting tidbits of info. One of which can cause, and did in my case, some thumping.

RVs are not built to local building codes and are built to the national codes and should meet the national building code standards. In my case the thumping I was hearing was from an electrical box inside the wall behind the television. This electrical box was secured at the factory by wrapping the wire around the sewage vent pipe which also ran through the same wall structure.

When I researched the national code the only mention of outlets that need to be secured are those accessible to the user. Outlets inside walls do not have to be secure so it makes me wonder what else is inside the walls just flopping around while driving.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #35

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #608
Have the same loud knocking noise coming from the wall right behind the driver's head in my 2013 ACE 30.1. I use a slide secure bar to prevent slide movement and this area of the wall has no cabinets or equipment attached to it. Just a little sway is enough to trigger it and it sounds like a ghost trying to get out! I put in earplugs and live with it because it's a long drive to a dealer and I'm enraged to pay for a "couldn't find any problem" diagnosis after 2 weeks in the shop.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #36

THOR #970
thumping won't stop

I took my rig to a non dealer repair shop to fix the noise, they determined it was the rods between the motors flexing and making noise, part of the slide system. He also tolls me I have the "old"style, plastic bushing and aluminum rods, the new style is all stainless steel. Thor agreed to replace the system. It was quite for about a week, and now is still clunking as I do those sideways rolls.. I still think Thor workers left something behind in the wall..
Old 08-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #37

State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I took my rig to a non dealer repair shop to fix the noise, they determined it was the rods between the motors flexing and making noise, part of the slide system. He also tolls me I have the "old"style, plastic bushing and aluminum rods, the new style is all stainless steel. Thor agreed to replace the system. It was quite for about a week, and now is still clunking as I do those sideways rolls.. I still think Thor workers left something behind in the wall..
Wow! How did you get Thor to replace your slide system? Are you still under warranty?

Too bad the noise is still there. We had a similar thing on a trip last year, but it would come and go...almost impossible to pinpoint.

Eileen in AZ
Old 08-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #38

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
I also had a banging noise coming from the slide wall, which is behind my head when driving. It became increasingly worse over time. The noise had become so significant that I could literally feel it in the wall.

To be honest, I lubricated the slides accordingly to all the videos out there, and the noise went away... completely.

My guess is the noise was actually the slide mechanism shifting fore and aft ever so slightly during travel, and the lubrication eased this movement thereby eliminating the noise.

Its been well over a year, and the noise has not returned.

Regards...
Old 08-23-2016, 02:53 AM   #39

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #608
Glad to hear it worked for you

My knocking noise has gotten worse each year and I will try your lube suggestion, though I don't know how that would help. I've been using a slide brace bar while driving and that should hold the slide pretty tightly in place so I wouldn't think that it could be jiggling back and forth. But I'll try anything as simple as your suggestion. Thanks
Old 08-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #40

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I'm thinking you caught one of these inside the slide walls when you closed it. Now it's finished its beer and wants out to pee.

my theory is supported by the fact this very armadillo is missing.

http://pulptastic.com/texas-man-shoo...llet-ricochet/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armadillo.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2801