Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Georgia
THOR #14579
Yes

I have a 2019 Thor Vegas 27.7. I drove 8500 miles this year on several great trips.

NO Problems!!! It works great and all systems work great. The only sloppy issues was a bad drawer clamp install.

I like reading the issues others have so I can check them in my RV to make any preemptive maintenance if needed.

I just took out the dinette and put in a Varidesk. I work out of the RV too and the desk is great. It works as a dining table too with chairs.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #122

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post

......cut..... But I give the Ford V-10 engine and transmission plenty of positive praise.

I agree 100% that most RV issues are not associated with Ford chassis, which is one reason I find it frustrating that Thor marketing won’t offer nicer motorhomes on the cheaper Ford chassis. That way for a given “price point” they could build a higher quality “house”.

Maybe I’m not seeing their strategy correctly, but they seem to build better quality on Mercedes Sprinter chassis, yet don’t build a similar unit on the Ford E-350. Instead, motorhomes in the same 24~25 foot size range found on Sprinter are built as cheap as possible when on Ford E-350. For similar floorplan the price difference is almost $40,000 more, and the Cutaway Chassis cost difference must be a small part of that.

I’m guessing they have market research showing that when buyers are willing to spend more for a nicer motorhome they will spend a bit more to “upgrade” to Sprinter chassis also, but in today’s downsizing environment, it’d be nice to see floorplans and quality similar to Citation Sprinter on a Ford E-350. Maybe they tried it years ago and it didn’t sell well. Regardless, there seems to be a gap in product options within Thor lines.

To be clear, I’m not talking about building a $200,000 small 24-footer on a Ford Cutaway like a Born Free and other niche brands (that often go out of business), but a motorhome of higher quality than a $60,000 entry-level Chateau.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #123

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I agree with Chance. If a manufacturer built a quality entry level coach and sold it for around $60K they would put a lot of other manufacturers out of business.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #124
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Please define "entry-Level" for me...
What features would you leave out?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:49 PM   #125

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Had I known that Thor had risen up from the ashes of Damon, you couldn’t have paid me enough to buy one.
That said, we bought a gently used one 2 years old with 11k on the clock. I’m a firm believer in Ford’s E450 Chassis and driveline and so far we’re almost 6k miles more than we bought it.
Now the coachwork is another story. I knew it was built out of spitballs, bubble-gum, bailing wire and old newspaper. I’ve managed to make more than a dozen improvements as well as repairs to shoddy workmanship.

Would I buy another?
I would not buy new. I would possibly by one used though. I refuse to put anymore money directly into Thor/Damon’s coffers...
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #126

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Can we get thinner cardboard walls?
or a lesser quality radio?
I think we could replace the $79 microwave with a $39 unit.
We could cut the labor costs by hiring unskilled craftsman

Maybe tell Ford to leave off the guages and wipers and ac.

Maybe if they don't include a spare or spare rack....
I bet they could find thinner linoleum or convince us that clear coated press board is pretty neat.

That $80 worth of vinyl stripe camouflage could become a $1,100 option. (really)

But someone would buy the lesser unit, tell us it was their life savings, speak of entitlement, and want a better microwave they didn't pay for upon purchase...or pay for since.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #127

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Please define "entry-Level" for me...
What features would you leave out?

You’re a prime example. Would you have considered buying your Sprinter Tiffin if built on Ford E-350 provided everything else was the same? You had E-450 before (essentially same as a E-350) so know what the difference would be worth to you. In other words, how much would you pay extra for Sprinter versus E-350?

I would personally leave off a lot. I want the metal tent version, not my house on wheels. I know it sounds contradictory, but I’d rather have molded end caps (front and rear), exterior paint, etc. In other words, more automotive in appearance with simple clean lines. For my personal needs small and light to work on SRW chassis would be great, and at least 12 MPG on gasoline. They could use a van camper as a guide, just make it a bit roomier without losing the go anywhere practicality.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #128

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandT View Post
my natural question to a Thor owners is when the rubber meets the road would you buy another one or are you upset that you bought this one?
Getting back to the OP question, No, I would not buy another Thor product.

I went shopping for a new Thor Class-A a few months ago. I looked at several at Camping World and the "visible" QC was so poor that I shudder to think what was lurking under the covers.

I understand other brands have problems too, but a coach builder should at least put a product out that minimizes the controllable issues that I (the buyer) will have to apply my time to. I don't think Thor does this, and for that reason I would not buy another.

I don't have a bone to pick with Thor, and the coaches I looked at were beautiful rigs, but I just can't pluck down $125K and then go home and straighten out doors and realign cabinets. That's their job, not mine.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #129
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You’re a prime example. Would you have considered buying your Sprinter Tiffin if built on Ford E-350 provided everything else was the same? You had E-450 before (essentially same as a E-350) so know what the difference would be worth to you. In other words, how much would you pay extra for Sprinter versus E-350?
Your memory has failed you, and you could not possibly be more incorrect!
As I have stated NUMEROUS times: we switched ONLY because our Outlaw no longer fit our changing needs.
The Tiffin did...

Would I buy another Thor?
Yes: if it met my needs,,,
But I would go into the buying process feeling MUCH more prepared!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1572543305
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drop The Mic 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	21178  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:50 PM   #130

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
cut..

Maybe I’m not seeing their strategy correctly, but they seem to build better quality on Mercedes Sprinter chassis, yet don’t build a similar unit on the Ford E-350. cut...
If you have Mercedes hanging over your head, you better not screw up. It wouldn't surprise me if Thor put out crap on a Mercedes chassis, Mercedes would stop selling them chassis. JMHO
Old 10-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #131

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Your memory has failed you, and you could not possibly be more incorrect!
As I have stated NUMEROUS times: we switched ONLY because our Outlaw no longer fit our changing needs.
The Tiffin did...

....cut.....

No memory problem yet.

I asked you a simple question and you obviously didn’t understand it. It had nothing to do with your reason for trading.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:05 PM   #132

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Methinks this forum is the counseling group, and you already joined it! Some of us have found it to also be an addiction! (Personally, two years and 500+ posts later!)
And look...in this time and moment, you've bested that 4x.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:20 PM   #133

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
If you have Mercedes hanging over your head, you better not screw up. It wouldn't surprise me if Thor put out crap on a Mercedes chassis, Mercedes would stop selling them chassis. JMHO
Perhaps the word quality wasn’t the best choice. Maybe “upscale” would have been better.

My question was why don’t companies like Thor build more upscale motorhomes similar to Citation Sprinter on Ford E-350? The opposite seems true also. Not too many companies are building entry-level motorhomes on Mercedes Sprinter chassis. The chassis MSRP difference can’t be the only driver.

You may be right that Mercedes may not want to be associated with entry-level low-cost rigs. It may damage their image or status.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:34 PM   #134
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Perhaps the word quality wasn’t the best choice. Maybe “upscale” would have been better.

My question was why don’t companies like Thor build more upscale motorhomes similar to Citation Sprinter on Ford E-350? The opposite seems true also. Not too many companies are building entry-level motorhomes on Mercedes Sprinter chassis. The chassis MSRP difference can’t be the only driver.

You may be right that Mercedes may not want to be associated with entry-level low-cost rigs. It may damage their image or status.
More likely MB can’t supply the chassis at the quantity required when required by the manufacturers. They are as money hungry as anyone.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:45 PM   #135

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
1400 miles, still unsed.

So today I replaced the Bilstein steering dampener shock (check prior thread) with a Roadmaster RSSC steering stabilizer and added front Sumo front bump stops.

What do I notice? There are 2 bolts that hold the front fiberglass cap to "tacked on" 1x1 thinwall metal brackets to the frame. And I mean, 1 of the 4 sides is "lightly" welded. Aside from that, the bolts were merely dropped into position, not even in the threads to be tightened. The ONLY reason they stayed in from delivery from Indiana is because they are vertical bolts.

I have to say, the NTSB or other gov't NEEDS to step in and regulate these overloaded E-450 platforms. 2 of the 4 brand new factory ford shocks were already shot when I replaced them with Bilsteins. This, is in addition to having to install front and rear Hellwig anti-sway bars, firestone airbags in rear (w/ remote compressor) etc...

WHY DO WE ALL HAVE TO DO THESE UPDATES TO HAVE A SAFE VEHICLE???

The fact that THOR refuses to do alignments is criminal. Like an extra 400lbs of our alotted cargo is going to make a difference??? Had my AXIS aligned last weeked and sure enough, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, the right tire toe was off, along with the caster issue...

My BRAND NEW graphics had road grime from the start, yet THOR refuses to honor their warranty, because the dealer sold us that BS polymer coating prior to picking the RV up. When asking General RV of Jacksonville to fix the graphics, they say its THOR's problem.

I can't stand THOR and I despise General RV. I will be suing General RV and/or Thor for complete graphics replacement.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:22 PM   #136

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
NewAxisOwner:... My BRAND NEW graphics had road grime from the start... I will be suing General RV and/or Thor for complete graphics replacement.[/QUOTE]

You might want to read what you typed.
It doesn't sound right when said out loud.

Are we really down to suing due to road grime?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #137

THOR #12189
Quote:

Sort of where I was coming from. What we say out here finds it's way out there.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:34 PM   #138

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
More likely MB can’t supply the chassis at the quantity required when required by the manufacturers. They are as money hungry as anyone.
Ahhhh...I have to stand back, just a ways.

MB has a reputation to protect. I worked for a world bank and reputational risk was at the fore front of their agenda; spending 3b a year on technology so they wouldn't get hacked and lose customer trust. That found it's way into the workforce. Hence, you cause any trouble out there, you lose your job here. I could go into more detail but won't. You're not stupid. You get my point.

It plays a bigger role than some may remember.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:34 AM   #139

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I have a 2017 Thor Synergy on a MB Sprinter Chassis. Drives like a dream. I bought it new from General RV up in Michigan. Other than the list of repairs when we picked it up, followed by some major work on the first trip out of state we have not had any other issues in the past 2 years. Seems like a well chassied coach and I like it.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:39 AM   #140

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
NewAxisOwner:... My BRAND NEW graphics had road grime from the start... I will be suing General RV and/or Thor for complete graphics replacement.
You might want to read what you typed.
It doesn't sound right when said out loud.

Are we really down to suing due to road grime?[/QUOTE]

Then read it quietly. I don't know what to tell you... As for not suing, sure, if you want to purchase the graphics and install them for me for free, I'd be much obliged