Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #3
fairfieldwizard

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
Figured it out and it's not good

So we have some burn marks on the connector that plugs into the RV Custom Products FW221 power controller. All fuses are good. We left on our trip without the dash AC.

On arrival in Luray, VA, and after much contemplation, I took a guess on the power controller board being fried. I cut the heavy red wire near the connector. tested it and learned he wire runs into the passenger compartment to the blower motor. So I added a length of wire to it in the engine compartment, installed an inline fuse holder and installed the fuse from the power controller board. I connected that the positive on the chassis battery.

Viola! Dash fan blower works, blower speed control works and compressor comes on to blow cold air. The only downside is that I need to remember to turn the AC off at the dash when the engine isn't running since the fan blower would continue to run, discharging the chassis battery.

So now I need an FW22 controller board. I contacted RV Custom Products. The nice lady there said that they are moving their company and so not shipping any product until 7/21 at the earliest. When they do, this board is over $500. They do not fix them.

Thor, designers, in their infinite wisdom installed this controller in a metal box around the corner from the engine compartment hood opening. No question that it will be a multi-hour replacement job.

I am not a happy camper. I'm learning that not much thought went into the engineering and design of my Hurricane. I'm also learning that there's no consideration for the supply of mission critical components. I"m lucky. I got my stinkin' AC to work. But that controller runs everything. What if the wipers didn't work? I'd be stranded, waiting for RV Custom Products to get their act together.

Our Hurricane is beautiful. But it's a gutless wonder. WTF. I cannot believe we, as owners put up with this.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum