View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #36
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Chance..."brain storm"!! I just figure out a solution for you!!! Get any old motorhome that fits your "camping while traveling" requirements. Buy a small cargo trailer and place a forklift battery or 2 in it! Wire that battery into an inverter system large enough to supply your A/C's!! Those batteries run an entire 8 hour shift of loading and unloading in warehouses without any issues...that's a lot of power!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
That is exactly what he wants!!! And somehow...he'll end up with it!! Hope he has lots of outside plugs for us!!
I purchased quite a few of those forktruck batteries on different projects, and they are quite large and heavy. Given the same lead-acid battery chemistry, they are not much different than golf cart batteries of equal total weight.

If you like large batteries, you should have seen the ones used on a hybrid bus our school worked on decades ago. I donít recall exactly but they were probably well over 1,000 pounds each, and there were two. A diesel charged the batteries constantly.

Iím helping a friend with engineering on restoring a classic motorhome, and one goal is to upgrade electrical system and house batteries to run rear A/C in bedroom overnight without using the generator. To make it work right, the hardest part is charging the batteries fast while driving. Itís a fairly unique (obsolete) engine so finding a bracket for a second alternator doesnít seem an option. He wants to have a Volta systemís capability without spending an absolute fortune. He also wants to run front A/C off alternator while driving so generator doesnít have to run so much.

Once most of this hardware comes from chassis manufacturer, the cost will be a small fraction of what we are looking at, and will become a no brainer. I prefer new stuff, and think a second alternator like on new Ford 7.3L V8 would be a great start.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.